Why "Her" Matters | Teen Ink

Why "Her" Matters

By themoonsong SILVER, Torrance, California
themoonsong SILVER, Torrance, California

"No more zero days"

Although it often gets reduced to "The movie where this guy falls in love with his iPhone", Her has so much more to offer in that it's really more about people than technology. Even though it is set in a world of technological isolation, it shows that there is and will always be that underlying need to connect with other people emotionally.

The story is so unique on the outside, but as it progresses, it makes one realize how universal and ingrained these emotions are. It doesn't matter who was connecting with what, it is simply the sheer feact that this connection exists. Not only to the characters, but to the creator as well.

The writer/director Spike Jonze has this wonderful ability to translate emotion into dialogue without lessening it. He's able to convert these complex feelings into a series of vowels and consonants in a way that, when combined with his well-fleshed out vision of the future, really strengthens the connection with the audience. We get a chilling look at the near future, where everything is voice automated and people are so far removed from each other that they pay a company to write and send personal letters. A world where we can pass ten thousand people on the street every day, and not a single one is walking with another person. As we become absorbed with our technology to the point where it becomes not an extension of us, but it substitutes our need for human interaction.

But this setting is juxtaposed with the main character's search for love, which serves as a reminder that we will always need other people. This fascinating world Spike Jonze has created shows two faces of the same coin, a world that is afraid of human emotion and an intense desire to connect on a personal level. It brings up a situation that is not only entertaining, but forces us to challenge and question ourselves in the process.

This film means so much to me personally because it directly addresses an issue I've always been concerned with: The possibility that eventually people will begin to lose contact with each other.

I hope this inspires more people to watch this film, and see the message it conveys.