Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

We have all been there where we just wish we were in a “perfect” world. We want everything to evolve around ourselves or we want somebody to guide us so we don’t  fail ourselves or somebody else.

In Harrison Bergeron, the view of a “perfect” world is huge. The 211th,212th&213th amendments were made so nobody in the world was smarter than anybody else, stronger than anybody else, or faster than anybody else. “They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.”  This was meant to keep society “Equal”. With the use of handicaps everybody becomes “equal”. “And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times. It was tuned to a government transmitter. Every twenty seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains.” In Harrison Bergeron a character named George was required to wear an earpiece that sent out a ring every 20 seconds to change his train of thought because his intenagence was above average and average is perfect.

In The Veldt there are many traits of  futuristic settings. But there is also a lot of false emotions and and happiness. Happy life hoax. n The Veldt the family has everything they could ever want. There home cooks, cleans, and supports them so they don’t have to do anything.”They walked down the hall of their HappyLife Home, which had cost them thirty thousand dollars with everything included. This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them. Their approach was sensed by a hidden switch and the nursery light turned on when they came within ten feet of it. Similarly, behind them, in the halls, lights went on and off automatically as they left them behind.”   The house starts to play the role of the parents, peter and wendy have more of a connection with the house instead of their parents. There father decides to take a break away from the house and nursery, they plans to go on vacation but the kids don’t want to be away from the nursery. The nursery is also a huge destruction to the family. In The Veldt the children wendy and peter have a personal connection to the nursery. The nursery was made to be an escape and express your feelings.The children were so emotionally damaged do to the fact that their father turned off the nursery “Don’t let them do it!” cried Peter to the ceiling, as if he was talking to the house, the nursery. “Don’t let Father kill everything.” He turned to his father. “Oh, I hate you!” But, the children took advantage of it and turned the nursery into something they have a strong power of.

In 10 with a flag there's an escape from reality People are obsessed with futuristic setting, with the concept of self-driving cars people get a feel of the future. People also love the thought of a higher power. In 10 with a flag government has a lot of control over you and your life. Your work skill, social class, and personal preference define who they are.  “Great.’ There was nothing else to do but sit back and enjoy the ride. We were just passengers. Central had control”

Dystopian literature has been growing and expanding throughout the years. People have been obsessing over the ideas of perfect worlds, futuristic aspectics, and higher control.

.