Clones, they're everywhere! | Teen Ink

Clones, they're everywhere!

By mollypop013 BRONZE, Niagara On The Lake, Other
mollypop013 BRONZE, Niagara On The Lake, Other

I'm always perplexed with today's fashion. Not that it interests me in the slightest. But I've always wondered why people make some of the purchases they do. Why do people always buy the same styles of clothing?
I bought a leather jacket and classic black converse last year for the new year. I've always loved leather, my dad would put me in his old black jacket when I was small. I figured it was time to invest in my own jacket instead of just stealing his.
The jacket I chose was gray and fitted. On sale at "Le Chateaux" during boxing day. I'd saved up for two weeks just to get it.
I love that jacket (even now), because I know I'm not going to see someone else in my neighborhood will have one.
Not like those ridiculous plaid coats, or pea coats that I saw everyone wearing during winter.
It was like looking at "Where's Waldo", only everyone WAS waldo.
Did everyone's mother go to a PTA meeting and decide to do this as a prank? Or are all my friends and classmates in some sort of cult where they all have a strict dress code?
Why, why, why must people buy what's in style?
Doesn't it even matter what you like anymore?
I swear I once walked into class and saw everyone (including the boys) wearing a pink "Hollister" shirt. I was tempted to come to school next time with an "anti Hollister" shirt, made by my favorite band "Final Thought", just to get some variety.
Do you people really care that much of what people think of them?
Wearing labels and what's in style isn't everything you know. Try showing a little personality. That cardigan you saw last week may be in style, but does it fit you?
Maybe you're the type of person that looks great in sweat pants.
I'm tired of telling my friends that skinny jeans won't make you look thinner, and if I know what they're wearing is in style or not.
It doesn't matter.
You are you, and clothes are just there to cover you goodies.
Get over it.

That leather jacket I bought ended up being in style that spring. Style is a living thing, and you don't need to have it to work it.

AisuP SILVER said...
AisuP SILVER, Los Angeles, California

I broke the shackles that I built myself, because I didn't feel like wearing them anymore.

No, trends do not look good on everyone. Take Abercrombie and Fitch, for example. Their clothes are very tight, and if you get a larger size, the clothes will get longer but not any wider. The other problem with Abercrombie and Fitch (and similar stores) think it's cool to just wear a shirt with the words "Abercrombie and Fitch" on it in huge letters. It's not really that good looking, but for some reason, the sellers think it's cool, and, because the sellers think it's cool, the buyers think it's cool, which brings us back to the topic of how trends are not always the best way to go. Trends are an infinite loop. The reason why they are good will always bring you back to "they are trends." The reason why they are bad will give you a few reasons, but then bring you back to "they are trends." Everything depends on your perception.

Fate98 GOLD said...
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other

"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

Sorry i am gonna re write that it was bad.

Oh my gosh i am so glad lots of other people see it that way! My mother is forever trying to get me to be like the other girls. Unlike me she can't see that being original is sooooo much better. In the town i see groups and they are wearing the same thing as each other. I dont understand how they think thats a good thing.

I bought black combat boots (they were awsome) i  wore them to school and got picked on for them. Then like a month later EVERY GIRL HAD THEM. WTH!! They made them look horrible though they all put sarkaly thingys on them.

i realy realy don't get it :-/ grrr

Fate98 GOLD said...
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other

Oh my gosh i am so glad lots of other people see it that way! My mother  is forever tryiing to get me to be like all the other  girls. Unlike me she can't see original is soooo much better. i dont get it i see groups in the town and they are  wearing the same thing as each other. i dont under stan why they think thats a good thing.

I bought black combat boot (they were awsome) i had them on in school and got picked on for them. A month later EVERY GIRL WAS WEARING THEM. WTH!  they all   put thin sparkaly thingys on them. I dont get it :-/

oh my gosh, i totally agree! but you know what's weird? all the people at my small town school don't dress all preppy and cute, like the rest of the copycat world. well, there are the cheerleaders and cheerleader wannabes, and the people that actually have their own minds who don't follow any of this nonsense, but anyway... all the kids at my school are wannabe emo's. like i'm just saying unless you actually believe in gothic-ness or whatever, don't go being all poseur-esque! i'll always remember what my cousin told me" all those people out there who dress all black and have that ridiculous choppy hairstyle and such, aren't really goth, or emo. monst of them aren't even posuers who think it's cool. they're just freaks." not that i think people who acutally are these things are freaks, i'm just saying they all look like wannabe poseur idiots!

schlage GOLD said...
schlage GOLD, Erie, Pennsylvania
Thank you, I just wrote an article about brand names and uggs. If you actually like these it's fine, but some people just want to fit in.

sweethearrrt GOLD, Portland, Oregon

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
— Marilyn Monroe

i think you bring up some good points, but alot of ppl wear trends like this becasue they are clothing that can look good on everybody

MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

Hey! I really liked your article; thanks for sharing it with us.

I have a theory that people don't necessarily like these clothes, but they're scared of what might happen if they don't stick to what's cool...actually, it's not really a theory. It's truth :) Once, a group of my best friends and I went to the mall. We all dressed absolutely ridiculous (tutus, cloaks, fingerless gloves, gypsy coin belts, cowboy hats, etc) and just wandered around. You wouldn't BELIEVE how many people stopped dead and STARED. I guess they couldn't believe people would be so...not alike? It really was interesting and fun to watch people's shocked reactions. :)

But anyway, great article! =D

effortlesslove BRONZE, Westminster, Maryland

"A friend is someone who can sing the song in your heart when you have forgotten the words"i

this is so true i wrote a article based on clothing but when people cant stick to their own style they tend to just be like everybody else i really like this story and i agree completely about your opinion on it. good job :)

DuskTheRunaway SILVER, San Francisco, California

"The opposite of War isn't peace!"- Mark
"What is it?"-Joanne
"Its creation!"-Mark
"Whoooo!" -entire bar
~Rent

I get it tottally I came from Catholic school so we had a dress code but when we had free-dress every girl wore Hollister or Abercombie&Finch. I wore clothes from HotTopic Forever 21 ect ect. It was annoying because everyone of my friends would take me to Hollister to buy expensive clothes for thier LABELS!  Although I have one Hollister jacket and shirt I really don't own anything else fromt there. I prefer to where my own clothes but I am Partial to Pea-Coats becaue the fit me nicely :). Converse are the best thing known to man and Black lether jackets w/ silver zippers and studs everywhere are the best :)

Hzano said...
Hzano, Antwerp, Other

Yeah! I totally agree!

If you sit on a bench outside a store while waiting for your mom to finish shopping in some old woman store, and look at the people walk by you’d be surprised at how many people look the same. Straight hair, (sometimes orange skin…ew), pink shirts, skinny blue jeans, and some pretty sandals and maybe even a scarf, to be extreme, is what you’ll be looking at. It’s everywhere, and it’s inevitable. I just got a leather jacket as well, and I’ve never fitted it with the perfect plastic girls at school. I wear black jeans, converse, and a tee-shirt- who cares what you wear! IT's not a simon says game 

It's true that most school cliks look at what you wear, and then decide wether they should talk to you, but still! who cares! Are those the people you want to be seen with? Plastic barbies?

Say you meet a guy, you want him to see you and like you as you, not like everyone else. What are we? Mirrors of one girl?! Add a bit of character and personality in life people!

Lucky.Deviant SILVER, Park City, Utah

"We all know the people that walk the halls, we all know their in this fight to be the best in life with us, so why to we snare at them, glare, and pass them by without even a friendly smile that says; I'm here for you, we'll be alright." -Myself

Now people that get their own style are getting rejected because they aren't "fitting into the fad" it's crazy how much of your personality isnt seen because of what your wearing or what your not wearing. Where's the uniqueness? I love your article and the where's waldo connection: is brilliant and tottally accurate

NinjaOrange said...
WOW! I love it. I wear Converse because I like my think canvas shoes, but it is so boring to see everyone else in them. Me and some of my friends have gone so far as to reverse everything and look outright strange. Haha, all the guys at my school have short, straight hair, so mine of long and wavy. All my female friends wear bright orange and green clothes. Once again, I love it.

sillyaardvarkabc BRONZE, Riverside, Connecticut
I love fashion but not cloneyish. lol also, i wear skinny jeans, not to make me thinner (im already weak looking) but because they are the only style that look good on me!!

teenroses said...
teenroses, Lubbock, Texas
i agree,

each style & fashion can be cute by itself,

but when overdone, it gets old.

one does not have to spend lots on money on something ugly & trendy

when one could buy something cute, for cheap(:

Crows Wings said...
I totally agree! In fact, I felt the SAME WAY when I walked into my school! So, to go againest it, i cut all of my hair off into a boy cut. Power to the individuals!

Linica said...
I thought your article was really good. I totally agree with you! I mean yeah sure you want to look good and sorta be in style, but that does NOT mean you have to have the same shirt and jacket as everyone else. What i also hate is when you get a cute new shirt and then everyone copies you and buys the same one! Ugh!

Joel said...
Nice job but maybe a little more description throughout the piece. Nice use of the word "goodies".

Wolfsong GOLD said...
Wolfsong GOLD, Willow Spring, North Carolina
-.- I agree completely.

I went to school with a black and pink too-too [SP?] and everyone stared at me, but most kids said they loved it! xD Then I went to school with a black and pink hoodie with cat ears and a cloth cat hood and fingerless gloves. THEY LOVED THAT TOO! xD

DeadlyPoppy PLATINUM, Chehalis, Washington

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" -Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

Aha! Thank you! Anti-Hollister. I need to get one of those...

Schmandrea said...
Schmandrea, Nowhereland, Nebraska

"...Addison, why is your pool so shallow?" -Brooke

Bahaha. I love this, and my brand new Transformers t-shirt agrees.