Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

By jrebenack48 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
jrebenack48 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Is anything really perfect? We as a class have been reading dystopian stories, we have also discussed why these stories are so interesting and why they are such a popular a genre.The stories we read include “Harrison Bergeron”, “The Veldt”, and, “Ten With a Flag”. I think that dystopian stories are a popular genre because they give people the view of a perfect world, they are futuristic, and they offer an escape from reality.

In the short story “Harrison Bergeron”, the world is seen as perfect but others may strongly disagree. Stories written this way could be and are intriguing to many because of this. An example in the story is, the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments of the Constitution which are enforced by “The unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General”. With the knowledge of the handicapper general you can easily assume that handicaps are used and placed on civilians to give a sense of equality but doing this they restrict independent thought and information. For example,  “A buzzer sounded in George's head. His thoughts fled in panic, like bandits from a burglar alarm.”

Another example of this is in “The Veldt” ,  the setting is in the future. This sort of setting can be interesting to many and gives a sense of excitement. In this story the world is very technologically advanced. For example, technology is pretty much in control as the house they live in does everything for them; it even bathes them! The house also has a nursery in the story that is designed for the kids and the kids “control” it. The kids do not trust anything outside of “their” world and do not want to live without technology.

My final point contributing to why I think people enjoy reading dystopian books is that it offers an escape from reality. In the short story “Ten With a Flag” , technology plays a major part in the society for example the cars drive them self  “We sat quietly while central directed the car onto the freeway”. Also, the government can make predictions and control what and how you do things and individual thought and actions are restricted. “We allowed you to make your own decision no one ever said we’d let you go through with it.” These are few of many reasons dystopian stories may interest a lot of people.

This genre is very interesting and gives people a view of a perfect world, a futuristic setting, and possibly an escape from reality. Dystopian stories are increasing in popularity because people want to experience these different elements but without actually living them.