Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By tchavez82 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
tchavez82 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dystopian literature can have you wondering why. “Why is this so popular?” “Why does this entertain people” Dystopian literature is popular because people are hooked to things they don’t know much about.  One of the first novels written in this genre was a book called 1984 by the man George Orwell. These novels have been put into several popular movies like Divergent. Not only do these books entertain readers but they let them understand the idea behind a dystopian community. Something that wouldn’t be as fun to do in a different genre.

For people to connect to this genre, they have to be able to relate it to things in today’s world. Relevancy is a big help in attracting readers. I think this is the first reason why dystopian literature is popular. The reason these are so relevant is because of how they are written. They all are written in a teenage perspective. For example the Giver. Now all of the novels follow suit. Examples include: Harrison Bergeron, Hunger Games, Divergent, and Maze Runner. It’s almost as if they can put themselves into the shoes of the person they are reading about and pretend like they are in the movie or book themselves. The next reason dystopian literature is so popular is because of the comparison. They also draw real world comparisons for the teens and the young adults. The comparisons they use for young adults are current things in the world. Controversial issues like school shootings and gender are always in dystopian literature. The government in “Ten with a Flag” changed people’s numbers and changed their jobs whenever they wanted to. This is another problem that people get to read about in dystopian literature. When people in Harrison Bergeron are handicapped they are considered extremely dangerous. This could yet again be another problem in the real world that people read about.

The most popular issue they like to use in this literature is the corrupted government. The only difference is that these problems are easily solved unlike real world issues. This gets people thinking about current events going around the world. These novels give hope to young people all over, showing them they can speak out and stand against problems in the real world. Yes we are talking about fictional work, but still work nonetheless.

The last reason I think dystopian literature is so popular is because of the comparison. They also draw real world comparisons for the teens and the young adults. The comparisons they use for young adults are current things in the world. Controversial issues like school shootings and gender are always in dystopian literature. The government in “Ten with a Flag” changed people’s numbers and changed their jobs whenever they wanted to. This is another problem that people get to read about in dystopian literature. When people in “Harrison” are handicapped they are considered

So in conclusion dystopian novels are one of a kind. They are interesting books that have real world relations and a teenage drama filled plot. All of these characteristics are key to why Dystopian Literature is popular. Young adults and teens are more open minded to the government and problems of the real world after reading these kinds of novels. But the real question is: How long will this literature stay popular?