Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By ajaneczko64 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
ajaneczko64 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dystopian literature continues to rise in popularity for many reasons. A dystopian story is set in the future and made to look like it was a utopia at one time. Or at least, an attempted utopia. In a dystopian society, it may look like everything is perfect, but in reality, the people are controlled by some type of central governmental figure. So, why are people are reading more and more of this type of literature? Could it be the “perfect” world view, the use of technology, or the protagonist’s struggle with society?

“Nobody had ever born heavier handicaps. He had outgrown hindrances faster than the H-G men could think them up. Instead of a little ear radio for a mental handicap, he wore a tremendous pair of earphones, and spectacles with thick wavy lenses. The spectacles were intended to make him not only half blind, but to give him wanging headaches besides” (Vonnegut 3).  This quote describes the handicaps enforced on the protagonist in order to make him “equal” with everyone else. If you were a normal person you were considered to have some type of handicap. In other words, perfect was average. In “Harrison Bergeron” if you were considered anything but average you were forced to wear some type of “handicap” such as those in the quote. Our protagonist struggles with the concept of these handicaps as he realizes they don’t make anyone average.


In “Ten With a Flag” the world seems perfect. Central can determine a child’s value to society before he or she is even born!  “Central looks into the future and determine the baby’s community viability” (Haines 4). The government determines everything about the baby but will not share with the parents. It’s top secret information. Parents are given a choice to end the pregnancy if they want, “The government won’t, of course, stand in your way if decide to invoke your option” (Haines 5). This gives the view that people in this society have complete freedom in all choices. But do they?


“The Veldt” is a dystopian story that shows how a family is controlled by technology.

“This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them” (Bradbury 1).  This family is completely controlled by what their house can do for them. The technology does everything for their family, such as cooking meals, tying shoes and bathing them! They don’t even have to brush their own teeth! Or choose their own clothes! When the parents become aware of just how much technology is affecting the family, that is when the real part of the story begins. Just how much technology is too much?


.

In conclusion, the stories we read, had multiple varieties to what the future will or will not be. Our future can turn out many different ways.