Why is Dystiopian Literature so Popular Among Teens? | Teen Ink

Why is Dystiopian Literature so Popular Among Teens?

“The youth share of the total vote has increased consistently throughout the past four presidential elections: 2000, 14.3%; 2004, 16.0%; 2008, 17.1%; 2012, 19%” (Richer). As well as affecting teens political standpoints, dystopian literature has seen a rise in popularity because a lot of teens are interested in the futuristic technology and the certain aspects of misery throughout the characters.

In one story we read, Ten With a Flag, included many examples of incredible futuristic technology and the suffering of certain characters. “Central had control.” this was said multiple times throughout the story from the point of view of the main character, showing that the characters are not able to make their own decisions a lot of the time and that there is no sense of freedom. “My wardrobe had picked out a deep-blue chiffon evening gown for me” a closet that picks your outfit, cars that drive themselves, these are many aspects of futuristic technology that seem so incredible but this means that society isn’t allowed their freedom of choice.

Another short dystopian story, Harrison Bergeron, incorporated multiple instances of sadness and misery among a couple of characters. “They were burdened with sashweights and bags of birdshot, and their faces were masked, so that no one, seeing a free and graceful gesture or a pretty face, would feel like something the cat drug in.” in this society, people suffer from the literal weight on their shoulders because they’re stronger or faster than the next person, the mask they’re forced to wear because they are too pretty, and the earpiece or headphones they wear because they’re smarter than other people. “He began to think glimmeringly about his abnormal son who was now in jail, about Harrison, but a twenty-one-gun salute in his head stopped that.” there is no opportunity for one to think freely, the government controls people's lives.

One last piece of dystopian literature I will include is from “The Veldt” which consisted of numerous examples of futuristic technology that affects a families relationship. “This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them.” houses aren’t supposed to take care of people like a concerned parent, this causes the children to fade from their parents care and they start to love the house like a mother and father. “They ran into the nursery. The veldt was empty save for the lions waiting, looking at them. “Peter, Wendy?” The door closed loudly.” the children became so attached to the house that when their real parents tried to take it away from them they locked them in the nursery and killed them.

Overall, these describe the different factors that young adults enjoy in dystopian literature. They all include the futuristic technology and the multiple aspects of misery throughout the characters that many people are very interested in.

This was a school project that I did about why dystopian literature and dystopian story lines have seen an extreme rise in popularity.