The Rise of Dystopian Literature | Teen Ink

The Rise of Dystopian Literature

February 5, 2019
By Anonymous

Dystopian Literature:

Why do teens like Dystopian literature so much? Teens haven’t really discovered how much they love reading these stories and seeing these movies until recent years and we have seen a spike in popularity among teens and I know why. But first a little bit of facts about Dystopian literature and what it is. Dystopian literature is a story which usually takes place in a failed utopia which is supposed to be a perfect life but ends up limiting people or treating the as if there not people at all. But under all this plot and under all the things in the story it conveys a deeper message. Something that usually relates to a current event. But why would teens like that?


Teens like these because they relate to stuff in the text. The things that they relate to range from big things in the story like being controlled. Or small things in the story like having a sister or a cell phone. But most of the time it is small stuff. And this really helps when you relate to a story because it helps imagining yourself in the story and you compare it to your own life.


A lot of the time teens feel like they are always right and they feel like there creativity is being suppressed because they go to school and they are told where to go and they are told when to eat and then they go to  these art classes and get told what to draw. Teens feel like they are trapped in a creative box because they have no time in school to just do what they would like to do.


When teens relate to a story they imagine themselves in the story as one of the main characters or just imagine what it would be like to live in a world with the rules and regulations that the people from the story live with and follow.


"When teenagers feel sad, what they often do it put themselves in situations where they feel even sadder,"(Nadworny) This is a quote from an article I read talking about how when teenagers feel sad they put themselves in situations that make them even more sad. As a teen I can say this is in fact true. If I was sad for some reason I feel compelled to listen to music that makes me sad. Or watch a sad movie. Or even, Yes. And this is the kicker here, read a sad book. Because Dystopian literature is never really a happy thing. There could be some happy people in that place but that’s usually the ruler. Or the person who controls everyone. So these books just have a bad energy to them. Mostly because they are messed up futuristic societies in which people don’t even have courtesy.


The author's comments:

This piece is about dystopin literature and why it is rising.