Why Dystopian Literature Is So Popular | Teen Ink

Why Dystopian Literature Is So Popular

By lsulek BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
lsulek BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Dystopian literature is experiencing a rise in popularity because…. Based on my research and what I have read up on  people like experiencing things that don't happen in everyday life. ”The concept of dystopian literature is to not only entertain readers, but to let them understand the ideas and characteristics of a dystopian society. These characteristics are shown through our own society but at a more drastic level. The reader gains more knowledge by finding ways in which the topics the author writes about is relevant to today’s society. This style of writing is so popular because it makes readers think of interesting topics that seem realistic, yet fictional.”(Rachel Elfassy Bitoun) .This quote from the author is trying to explain how the readers take in and dissect the reading so they experience and feel what happens  in the story.

This author is trying to explain that people are starting to like this type of literature so much because this type of story is letting people compare something to their own  society. “Dystopian literature has helped to also highlight many social ills that society can use as red flags to determine if the power system has gone too far”(Emily Solomon).

There is a lot of evidence to this reason of dystopian literature growing in popularity. The one that stands out the most to me is people like to see the dystopian society to see if their power system or government and like to compare the dystopian society to their own and see the similarities and differences. “dystopian novels are depressing, there’s a certain “rightness” in reading about a future that’s negative. Why? Because we know that politicians, military people and corporate moguls are capable of doing awful things — meaning dystopian novels feel kind of honest.”(Dave Astor).  “Will you shut off the house sometime soon?” “We’re considering it.” “I don’t think you’d better consider it any more, Father.” “I won’t have any threats from my son!” “Very well.” And Peter walked off to the

I used a lot of different resources to come up with why the dystopian community has grown so much and will contuine to grow.