Dystopian Literature | Teen Ink

Dystopian Literature

By Cviking56 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
Cviking56 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Dystopian literature is a story based off a society that is failing from make a perfect society. Some examples of dystopian story are the Hunger Games, Divergent, The Veldt, and Harrison Bergeron. For some crazy reason these stories/topic of dystopias have become extremely popular in teen minds. Experts say that they are so popular because they are an act of rebellion.

Rebellion against a society can be extremely dangerous. “Ten with a Flag” is an excellent representative for rebellion. In this short story they base wealth and how long you have to work based on your rating. If you can impact the society greatly then you will be given a rating of ten. The main characters are a man and his wife both are rated a 6 and are having a kid. The kid they were going to have got rated a ten. This was concerning the husband because they have a flag option. The flag option is basically an abortion. The husband takes the option for his wife and the leaders of the society do not agree with the option and take him away give him a new rating a one. So his rebellion got him in trouble. The point is, that kids can see it from the husband's perspective and think they should be able to do what they want. But have parents that stop them or ground them. Rebellion is mostly acted by teens. Lots of adults think it is caused by a reaction to the hormones from aging as a teen.

The connecting to a teenagers mind is extremely complex. But these stories give teenagers a way to connect to something. “There are a number of opinions, but the main drift seems to be that books set in either chaotic or strictly controlled societies mirror a teenager's life; at school, at home, with their peers and in the wider world.” a quote by The Guardian. This quote shows an adult's perspective on  why kids are connected to dystopian stories.

To fit in with the crowd is the way teenagers have to cope with awkwardness. “The outer, global journey of the characters is matched by an inner, emotional and psychological journey. These are no cartoon superheroes. They, like their teen readers, have to deal with recognisable concerns and problems, including friendship, family, betrayal, loss, love, death and sexual awakening.” a quote from The Guardian. So these dystopian stories teach or gather groups of kids to think the same way and act. It gives them a reason to be friends with people. It help with their feelings and awkwardness in school or life. These stories help with problems kids have and to figure themselves out.

From the eyes of a teenager. Dystopian literature like “The Giver” put a perspective of a teenager as the main character a quote by (The Popularity of Dystopian Literature) is “Young adult dystopian literature today is mostly in an adolescent’s perspective. For example, The Giver by Lois Lowry published in 1993 was one of the first dystopian novels written in a teenager’s perspective.” Meaning that books that are written with an teenage personality then more teenagers will like it and same with kids and adults. Another example from(The Popularity of Dystopian Literature) (One component to the relativity of young adult dystopian literature is that they are written in a teenager’s perspective, which is unusual for traditional literature. Young adults, with the drama and the hormones, are trying to figure out who they are and what they want to be in life.). This quote is explaining that if it bring the life of a teenagers in their story. Then teenaers will connect with the story becuase it brings up their similar problems.

In conclusion for the reasons stated that is why dystopian literature has become so popular. Kids can connect to stories and gives them a sense of safety and reason that they can appeal to.

Decribes about Dystopian literature and why it is becoming so popular today.