Trends or not Tremendous? | Teen Ink

Trends or not Tremendous?

November 11, 2009
By Anonymous

A fifth grader is starting her first day of school. She wants to look really special so she asks her mom if she can buy some mascara so she will look better. Her mom warns her that many girls do not wear makeup at the age of eleven. The girl guarantees that everyone else is going to be wearing makeup, and that she will be the only one not wearing makeup. The mom unwillingly agrees, but tells the girl that she needs to remember to love herself for who she is, and not to hide her flaws under a mask of superficial cover-ups. When the girl shows up to school for the first day of school, she is wearing a conservative amount of makeup. To her surprise all of the girls are wearing loads of makeup, scandalous clothes, and their hair has arrays of highlights. The girl goes home and explains to the mom that she looks so plain compared to the other girls and begs her mom to go shopping for clothes and goes to the salon. Her mom again reminds the girl that she is beautiful the way she is and does not need all these things so she can fit in. The girl rightfully agrees with the mom, but she says that she needs all these things to fit in with everyone else. The mom somewhat agrees and lets the girl get one highlight, and lets her buy some tighter jeans. The little eleven year old that had no clue how to use mascara, is now able to take on the world with a new and approved appearance. She her new look she can take on the world any that is thrown at her.

The author's comments:
This is a persuasive article we were assigned in class because our book we are currently ready deals with this type of writing style.