'Kawaiicore' and More: American Pop Culture's Infatuation with Asia and What it Really Means for All of Us | Teen Ink

'Kawaiicore' and More: American Pop Culture's Infatuation with Asia and What it Really Means for All of Us

December 23, 2022
By mingweiyeoh SILVER, Chanhassen, Minnesota
mingweiyeoh SILVER, Chanhassen, Minnesota
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

18 years ago, the Japanese anime series One Piece made its U.S. premiere on the Fox channel. Though well-known and adored in Japan, One Piece—and anime as a whole—wasn’t quite so mainstream in the U.S. at the time. It wouldn’t be until the mid-2010’s that the distinct visuals of anime became something recognizable even by Americans who weren’t fans of the shows, and for a couple more years, aided by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and social media apps like TikTok, that anime would solidify its place in American pop culture. 

Now, it’s become something that’s not only immediately recognizable by young people, but something they openly express their love for. On virtually every platform, young users share the ways they have incorporated anime into their lives, blending its aesthetics into their fashion, accessories, decor, social media pages, and more. 

Like anime, the many other components of Asian culture and media that have been absorbed by mainstream America seem to primarily owe their popularity to aesthetic factors. In K-Pop—the ever-growing industry currently dominated by groups like BTS, who are now considered the biggest band in the world—the main attraction are gorgeous singing, dancing performers called idols. These attractive people, paired with stunning, high-budget music videos and collectible merchandise, have become an irresistible force in America. 

Similarly, boba—a tea beverage that has its roots in ‘80s Taiwan—has become a new hit among Gen Z consumers, who drop six to eight dollars at a time for the pretty, colorful drinks. It’s become so popular that American chains like Starbucks and Caribou have adopted the rainbow, fruit-flavored spin-off of traditional tapioca pearls, called popping boba, onto their own menus. All over social media, kids rave about the charming novelty beverage, knowing little to nothing about its Asian origins.

For many Asian-Americans, the acceptance of Asian media by mainstream America is a point of pride, and they themselves largely enjoy the same shows, artists, and beverages. However, it can be frustrating to see Americans embrace these elements of Asian culture while simultaneously turning their backs on Asians and Asian-Americans in the areas that truly matter. 

For a brief period in 2020, it was trendy for many teenagers on Instagram and TikTok to take pictures in the aisles of Asian supermarkets, surrounded by Asian snacks and drinks that created a quirky, yet visually pleasing setting to display on social media. Yet, some of these same users also complained about the rest of the supermarket, making comments about the strong smells and dirty conditions. 

Though this could be considered a much less serious offense than some others, it does reveal that many young Americans are content with picking and choosing only the parts of Asian culture they consider to be aesthetically pleasing, while ignoring and even stepping on the rest. Asia and the experiences of Asian people are far more than just cute trends—it’s ridiculous to reduce them to such when so much history, culture, and complexity exists. In reality, Asians and Asian-Americans have to deal with much more that extends beyond the pretty surface. Unfortunately, this fact frequently goes unacknowledged by the same people who claim to adore all things Asian. 

Ultimately, it’s important for consumers to be aware of their actions and behavior. Of course, they can continue to love anime, K-Pop, and boba; but in addition to doing so, they should consider making an effort to understand what lies beyond the surface.