Sexting: Know the Facts | Teen Ink

Sexting: Know the Facts MAG

By Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Katie Bachman BRONZE, Auburn, New York

High-tech has created a new low. The term “sexting” is a combination of the words sex and texting, and refers to the practice of sending sexually ­explicit photos electronically, mainly by cell phone. The incidents of sexting have dramatically increased in the past few years; 20 percent of teens said they had sent a sexting message, according to a 2008 study commissioned by the National ­Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and Cosmogirl.com. Though many in our generation are taking part, few understand the serious consequences of this irresponsible fad.

Recent advances in technology have revolutionized the way we interact socially. Cell phones and e-mail have changed the way we communicate but have led to dangerous and ­destructive behavior. While some teens may think sexting is fun or harmless, this new craze can have devastating consequences. When a photo or video is sent to another person, privacy is lost forever. The content can be broadcast to anyone. The original sender has no control once he or she presses “send.”

The consequences of sexting can be ­severe, ranging from embarrassment to ­imprisonment or worse. Explicit photos or videos forwarded from person to person can cause embarrassment for the original sender. Many teens don’t realize that once they hit “send,” control of who else sees that compromising photo is now completely up to the recipient. You may think you know your friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend, but can you trust them forever?

Many young people who thought sexting was a harmless game ended up having their lives destroyed. In one tragic incident, Jesse Logan, an 18-year-old from Ohio, was mercilessly humiliated after explicit photos she had sexted to a boyfriend ended up circulating among her peers. She eventually killed herself.

Imagine being convicted of the crime of child pornography and serving five year’s probation. You are rejected by colleges, lose your friends, and have to move because your home is too close to a school. You’re unable to get a job, and you have to register as a sex ­offender until you are 43. That’s exactly what happened to Phillip Alpert, a Florida 18-year-old. He ruined his life by circulating nude pictures of his girlfriend (which she had sent him), by texting them to his friends, her friends, and her family. The legal problem: she was only 16 and a minor; distributing explicit photos of a minor constitutes child pornography. The real problem: like many teenagers, he did not understand the long-term consequences of his actions.

Sexting may seem like harmless fun, but teens should think twice before hitting the “send” button. There is no turning back once a message is sent.

cyanidesun BRONZE, Atascadero, California

It is the eye of ignorance that assigns a fixed and unchangeable color to every object; beware of this stumbling block. -Paul Gauguin

The article isn't saying that we should hold down anyone who sexts and burn them with a cigarette as punishment or anything lol, the main point is simply that the risks outweigh any sort of benefit one might obtain from it, and it's just not a smart thing to do. Obviously if someone wants to do something, no one's going to stop them, but knowing the facts before hand is vital in your decision on whether or not to press the send button.  

black-sapphire BRONZE, Bismarck, North Dakota

"I'm in a fleshy tomb, buried up above the ground.
It's no use, why should I hold on?"
-Goodbye (I'm Sorry) by Jamestown Story

Okay...why is it such a big deal if someone sent some pics? Its their choice if they want to sext, and if they choose to send that stuff--then leave them be, it's their life..you can't live it for them..

you are so right this is a horrible thing to do to anyone you can destroy the lifes that u dont own

Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

Yes; I STRONGLY believe that sexting is wrong - not only immoral but against my religion - but in the end people have to make these choices for themselves. I'm sorry to appear harsh; the choice to sext is yours.

bunny2crazy said...
I think that skools should have to read this article.

VampMonster said...
Seriously? whoever does this is seriously stupid, what if ur parents see ur pics? what then? or everyone at skool, they'll treat u with a lot of disrespect on what was supposed to have been private. Geez.

lillylover97 said...
i think it is great doing that.

Talon_B BRONZE said...
Talon_B BRONZE, Mcminnville, Oregon

\"Life is like a box of crayons. Most people are the 8-color boxes, but what you\'re really looking for are the 64-color boxes with the sharpeners on the back. I fancy myself to be a 64-color box, though I\'ve got a few missing. It\'s ok though, because I\'ve got some more vibrant colors like periwinkle at my disposal. I have a bit of a problem though in that I can only meet the 8-color boxes. Does anyone else have that problem? I mean there are so many different colors of life, of feeling, of articulation.. so when I meet someone who\'s an 8-color type.. I\'m like, hey girl, magenta! and she\'s like, oh, you mean purple! and she goes off on her purple thing, and I\'m like, no - I want magenta!\"

I respect your opinion, but after surfing through the comments on this page, i have found you in quite a few of them, arguing with people that feel its okay. Calling others immoral. And then claiming you are right. Listen, you might be right FOR YOU, but if someone else thinks there is nothing wrong with it, and has no problem with sharing something as personal as their body that way, maybe you shouldnt get in their business. We are free to do as we please, and if they arent hurting anyone (and the only real victim, if something does go wrong, is themselves) why should you care? You strike me as sanctimonious, and prude. You're completely entitled to your opinion, but come on, leave others alone. I wouldnt have said any of this to you, even though i disagree with your opinion, if i hadnt seen your obnoxious, self assured judgment on other peoples posts. 

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

Opinion can be fact. I'm tired of arguing - obviously I can not change what you do, nor do I have the right to, but I know I am right. Sorry about all this - I have very strong views and am very religious, which effects some of this. I know you are a good person, I just hope you think about what I have said.

ErinsGoneCrazy BRONZE, Portsmouth, Virginia

“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”

No, you're not right. You said yourself it's your opinion, not fact. Way to contradict.

Later.

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I meant "you do want you want" by the way. And yes, I stand by my opinion, and I am not standing alone. Please reconsider what you are doing. I am not being close-minded - I understand your point of view - I am simply, for one, being right. And again, God bless you as well as your boyfriend.

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I'm sorry if I "bring shame to America" but maybe it needs to be shamed. There a lot of things going on in this country that are disgusting, vile, wrong, and I'm not the only person who thinks this way. As I said, you do not what you want, but I assure you that in the end it will not make you happy.

God bless.

Why is it so wrong? Just because it's not conventional or the way YOU think things should be? Why should I conform to what you think is normal or right? It's close minded people like you that bring shame to America.

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

As I said, you may do what you want - but the things you are describing should really be saved for marriage, and even then, there is something wrong with distorting your body like that. It's spelled P-O-R-N. And that's just wrong. Again, this is your choice, but I fervently believe it is the wrong one.

How is sending a picture to my BOYFRIEND sending nudes in public and to a stranger? I feel comfortable enough with myself and with my relationship that doing these things is fun. I enjoy it. It's not that I feel that I HAVE to do it to get my boyfrien's love. I just like to. If I told him I didn't want to, that'd be the end of them. However, I feel that it is my body and my choice. I don't believe that sexting is needy, nor pathetic. It's simply a way to be close while far apart. It helps.

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

Well, I think revealing yourself inappropriately in anyway is immoral and wrong. To a husband (notice I didn't say boyfriend), of course no, but in public and to strangers? Definitely wrong. It's disgusting. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and may do what they want - but I know what will make me happy. And shoving my body in other people's faces is not it. 

writer-in-pearls GOLD, San Diego, California
You are more than entiteled to your opinion, and I didn't mean to question that; however, on what grounds are you deeming sexting to be 'immoral'?

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

I do not mean to judge her, I am simply saying that I believe what does to be immoral and dangerous. I do not mean to offend, but I think I was right saying what I did.

while you may not agree with what she does with her boyfriend, you are in NO position to declare her needy or pathetic. If you oppose sexting, fine, don't sext. That's likely a safer bet, but you have no right to judge her for her decision to do differently. 

wordsmith97 SILVER, Norwalk, California

"And that's when I shot him," my dad.

One of my friends actually does this. After or as he "get's lucky" he takes a picture of "her" and sends it to everybody he knows. It's really disgusting.