The Real Story of Emos | Teen Ink

The Real Story of Emos

July 31, 2010
By MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.


The definition of Emo has nothing to do with cutting yourself, it has nothing to do with what clothes you wear, what music you listen to, or what strange color you dyed your hair last month. Emo is the short way of saying emotional...really. Emo means emotional, like you have very vivid emotions and have a certain way of expressing that. Today, people see them as people that wear all black and purple-sometimes even red- and listen to screamo all day in a room with black lights and posters of weird bands that have no point. This stereotype is ruining the point of people expressing the way they feel about something. I have 3 friends that are all Emo, one is angry majority of the time, another is depressed and has to take meds for it, and the other is just like me, just wears a lot of black and orange- like Halloween.

Notice how none of them cut themselves or drug themselves until they pass out? That is because those things were for some dumb reason associated with Emo poeple. The one on anti-depressants, is on them because she had huge trauma in her life, and expressing it through nothing. She would sit and think until it was time to go to sleep...she would wake up and go through the same routine. So before you start stereotyping emos as cutters and things to that effect, learn about them and you'll notice that they are just emotional people, not freaks, not people that you should avoid, just emotional expressers.


The author's comments:
I'm so sick and tired of people stereotyping emos, so this is my attempt to stop that.