Electronic Survival | Teen Ink

Electronic Survival

September 26, 2010
By poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
poppy_lin GOLD, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
13 articles 0 photos 26 comments

Cell phones are something that used to be a delicacy but now it is somewhat of a “have to have” item. Every chirping perky suck-up is holding one and usually that’s because they had a tiny scratch on their old one and that is an “OMG” situation. So they buy a new one. That is the case with every so-called “must have” item, those wayward electronics that eat up parents’ hard earned money. These are things you could live without, but once you have it, you depend on it entirely.

My ex-best friend went through 3 phones in one year. And a girl on my morning bus went through 4 phones in one summer. That is just a pure waste of money and the more selfish you make kids, the more they want. I only got a cell phone this year due to after school activities, texting my friends at times, but not over the top so. There is also some internal (and external) relationship boys have with their precious XBOX 360’s. What is the point of camping out in your living room playing ultra-violent games until the crack of dawn? It is something I would like to call: OBSESSSION: THE TRUE MEANING. These boys give a whole new meaning to that word. These electronic games meant purely for entertainment has become more of a living habit, and damn those who think their lives depend on a stupid little electric micro-chip.

I won’t reflect on the olden times where there were no cell phones, no TVs, and no XBOX 360s’. I won’t do that because I am only so old. But the dependency on cell phones makes me think to myself, what has become to our new generation? Has it gone on crack and slowly deteriorated at the site of gleaming new play stations?

Yes, the world is very confusing at the moment, but the only option we have is to live through that period of time, and pretty soon the snottiness will diminish. Either that or it will increase.


The author's comments:
the world is not perfect, but i guess we can help change it one essay/article by a time.
thanks comment rate and be brutally honest. if it sucks, it sucks. tell me and i'll improve it!

cheers!