Just a Word | Teen Ink

Just a Word

By JojoMimi BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
JojoMimi BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

Lately I have been really upset by the language choice of some of my peers and others around me. Whenever I got to school or anywhere out in public, there are many people using profanity. They walk by me, a cuss word in nearly every sentence they speak. I’m at the park, little children are running around yelling, “Loser, I’m gonna kick your f*ing a**. It is disturbing.

Recently, I spoke to a friend of mine about this issue.

“You’re overreacting,” she said. “It’s just a word. It doesn’t really hurt anyone.”

Well sure, someone using profanity does not really inflict any physical pain on anyone. However, words can be powerful. Cuss words are not “just words.” They are derogatory terms used to insult and taunt. They bring negative energy into a situation. They are incredibly unappealing.

I’m not saying that people need to stop cussing fully (even though that would be great). There is a time a place for things. If you are hanging out with a group of comfortable friends at your house, then do what you would normally do. When you go out in public, it is not wise to walk around using profanity. It isn’t “just a word.” It impacts you and those around you in ways that sometimes cannot be seen.

An observation

Of course. Words are formed from ideas. Bad ideas= bad words

JojoMimi BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
Yes. There are so many other words to use, so profanity does not need to be used daily.

mayasplee SILVER, Mobile, Alabama

We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

My and my friends were just discussing this the other day. I personally see it an indicator of a small vocabulary, I think that in some instances it's fine to get your point across but in everyday language, unnecessary. I generally  like to avoid saying/doing things that I wouldn't do around my mother. But anyway, great article!

reenay_95 GOLD said...
reenay_95 GOLD, West Lafayette, Indiana

You can't see the stars if you are always looking down.

I try not to cuss too much because I'm afraid it'll become a habit and I'll say a swear word in front of a teacher or my parents.

JojoMimi BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
thanks! i'll check out some of your articles.

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Yes, I fully agree. Words can have powerful impacts on the world. You expand upon that idea beautifully in this article. Great job! It deserves 5 stars! Oh, and I recently posted an article about my views on the universe. I'd like some feedback on it, and see if there are others who agree with me on it. If you want to, you should check it out. Thanks!