Tangible | Teen Ink

Tangible

March 17, 2012
By LyddieD723 GOLD, Cary, North Carolina
LyddieD723 GOLD, Cary, North Carolina
15 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"There comes a time in life when you have to let go of the pointless drama. Surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."


Does anyone enjoy the smell of a new book you've just purchased on the way home from your local bookseller anymore? Isn't there someone left who gets pleasure from feel rough, worn pages of their favorite book when reading it the inth time over? Unraveling the memories within the story as well as the ones related to the object. Places you took the book, things you spilled on it, notes left in it, pictures tucked between pages, tears here and there, and you may find yourself relating the journey the book itself has been on to your life. Sure has been through a lot, but still worth a read.

Reading and writing is changing as society and technology are advancing. Everything is becoming digital at a fast pace. People have access to books on the internet, smart-phones, kindles, and other devices that are making physical books less and less popular as time goes on. Readers searching for the feelings I've previously touched on, will not find them in these tech alternatives. Books are quickly taking the backseat to these new ways. It's like my happiness through book is slowing fading away into a cold future.

I constantly wonder if I will ever keep a journal when I'm older. With word processors and blogs available on a computer, which would get my ideas down much faster and make for speedy editing, many people wouldn't see the need for handwritten work. I like seeing words on pages of a notebook. Feeling their indents crawl across the paper. Maybe it is just me, but I enjoy flipping through and seeing varieties of colored pens and pencils and watching my handwriting change oven time. The change is showing growth and maturing. Times New Roman font has no effect on me. The touch of the worn and almost crinkled pages running through my fingers tells me that I have done something. Despite the hand cramps, and paper cuts...This is tangible evidence of my work. That in a computer, is not.

I guess one of these days I'll have to face the technology if I want to make it anywhere in the writing world. Certainly I cannot hand write a novel if I have any hopes of getting it published in my life time. But for my personal writing and reading pleasure, I'm keeping it old school.

The refreshing feelings that pages bound together can give me are something I need to hold on to in this hectic world.