Junk food | Teen Ink

Junk food

By LarissaDaSilva1 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
LarissaDaSilva1 BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

Junk Food
Over the past few decades,doughnuts, pizzas, burgers, rolls, wraps, french fries, etc have penetrated every corner our country. You step out of your house and you will see them being served everywhere from malls, restaurants and roadside corners to office and schools do you know what the word “ junk” means ? The word ‘junk’ refers to something that is extra and useless. The consequences that these junk food have on your health are terrible, irrespective of whether you have them once in a while, twice in a week or every day.
Junk food can cause health and physiological problems that people don't know or may ignore it. Junk food increases cholesterol and triglyceride levels which major risk factor for the developed of heart diseases and consuming too much of fast food that are high in sugar and fat can increase your chances of developing colorectal cancer. When you eat healthy diet, your body gets a steady supply of glucose which helps to maintain insulin sensitivity. But when you eat only junk food, the excessive stress exerted on your metabolism can affect the ability of your body to use insulin properly. This can lead to diabetes. Junk food may be the reason behind your fatigue: Although junk food and fast food makes you feel full and satisfied, they lack all the necessary nutrients like proteins and carbohydrates to keep your body energized and healthy. Other than cause health problems it also can cause physiological problems. A lot of hormal changes take place in teenargers which makes then susceptible to the likelihood mood swings and behavior changes. The likelihood of teenargers to suffer from depression is increased 58%. Do you know why you can never say no to fries and chips ? It is they contain high amount of finely processes salt which increases salivation and secretion of enzyme that enhances your craving. The high amount of bad fats and sodium from salt increases blood pressure and affects the kidney function. Recent research suggest that bad fats (trans fats ) from junk food tends to replace healthy fats in the brain and enterferes with its normal signaling mechanism. Studies in animals have also show that fats from junk food slow down the ability to learn new skills.
Junk food is not that bad. It won’t kill you if you eat it for a day or a week. Why would they sell junk food all over the country if it were to be bad for our health?
Many people can say that junk food is harmless and that it won’t affect their health or they may know the consequences but ignore them. They think that the consequences of eating a lot of junk food won’t always appear later on and happen to them.
Don’t you think you are playing with you life by ignoring the truth? Not just because the consequences of eating junk food came after the next day that eat that means that doesn't exist. Take care to don’t be too late!