Netflix: Friend or Foe? | Teen Ink

Netflix: Friend or Foe?

October 12, 2015
By alyssa_b BRONZE, Plymouth, Minnesota
alyssa_b BRONZE, Plymouth, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I get home from school exhausted.


It’s been a long day, but there is one thing that can remedy my fatigue and it’s waiting for me on my laptop. With this newfound determination, I clutch my laptop to my chest and begin to trudge the agonizing steps up the stairs to my room. All I want to do is curl up in my cozy warm bed and sleep.


But then I realize: I have something to look forward to. Instantly energized, I run up the stairs with my laptop, eager for what I am about to see.


When I throw myself down into the sea of pillows I open my laptop to a wonderful red background that surrounds crisp white letters that spell out my favorite pastime: Netflix.


Netflix oh Netflix. The poisoned chalice that I can’t stop drinking from no matter how many late assignments I have. Yes, the disguised devil that somehow convinces me to procrastinate night after night.


I know I’m not the only one with this obsession. Hundreds of thousands of individuals ranging from someone age six to someone in their late forties find Netflix exceedingly enjoyable. According to Netflix’s website, they have even accumulated an astounding 65 million subscribers.


But what makes Netflix so addicting for so many people?


Netflix’s innumerous variety of TV shows and movies appeals to everyone, for a low price. For only $7.99 a month, subscribers can watch entire seasons of shows from Grey’s Anatomy to The Walking Dead and even comedies like Arrested Development or The Office (these four shows seem to be the all-school favorites).


Also, with Netflix’s multiple device compatibility, I can take my hospital dramas anywhere: in the car, in the bathtub, on a plane, anywhere in the comfort of my own home…the possibilities are endlessly addicting.
So, yeah it’s got a lot of content and it’s convenient, but so what? I can stream Hulu and Youtube from anywhere and they still aren’t apart of this streaming craze.


The thing that is keeping Netflix ahead of its competition is its binge watching features.


After finishing an episode in a series, Netflix automatically plays the next episode. That’s right, you don’t have to lift a finger to continue your zombie terrorized apocalyptic universe or the next episode of the hilarious women in prison.


I find myself night after night spending hours on Netflix because of this feature. Last night I had just finished watching an episode of Grey’s Anatomy. Okay Alyssa time to start homework now, it’s 8:00 on a school night, I thought to myself, but Dr. Steven’s love of her life is on the brink of death! I need to know what happens! Just…one more episode.


No, it was not one more episode; it was at least three more.


But I had to keep up with everyone else that watched the show! It’s frustrating to discuss the show with others when I’m on season 3 whereas everyone else is on season 11.


I’m the girl that tells everyone to stop their conversation because of potential spoilers.
The only way to catch up, is to binge watch.


Unfortunately, I mostly use my binge watching habits to escape the stress of a teenager who competes in two varsity sports and still keeps up with school. I can just sit down and forget about my problems while enjoying myself.


This way of thinking is the downfall of using Netflix. America’s “remedy” for stress is becoming our everyday medicine, and not in a good way. The idea that a screen can make us as happy as spending time with someone we care about is making us isolated.


But what’s worse is that it’s true. Yoon Hi Sung, a doctoral student at the University of Texas at Austin stated that, "Our findings in our research show that those who feel more depressed tend to watch more programs,".
So those who are depressed or stressed out, tend to use Netflix as a solution, instead of seeking help and communicating with others. Therefore, Netflix is promoting an environment of seclusion, but everyone does it so it’s ok, right?


We need to be the ones who stop this reckless binge watching behavior. If we don’t, it could possibly become “the new normal”.


Yet, the new normal might already be here.


A few days ago I was at a friend’s house. Instead of enjoying others company, we plopped ourselves onto the couch and watched five episodes of Grey’s Anatomy, no communication whatsoever.


We can’t let this kind of situation become the new normal. If we just watch a few episodes every day, despite what episode everyone else might be on or whatever stress we are going through, we have a better chance of becoming happy and healthy members of society. So together, let’s pick up the remote, pause that next episode, and enjoy what little time we have on this earth. Let’s live.