House On Mango Street Online Review | Teen Ink

House On Mango Street Online Review

By sissyyycx BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
sissyyycx BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

The House On Mango street is written by Sandra Cisneros. It is filll with many different stories that happened all through out Esperanzas life the main character. I personally think it's a good book, the overall message to it can definitely be relatable to many readers of varied ages.

The novel covers the life of Esperanza a Chicana who is 12 years old. She goes from living in a apartment to moving to a house that their family owns in Chicago. As time goes by she begins writing as a way to express herself and escape the reality of her neighborhood that she's not to happy with. You get the impression that Esperanza is a friendly girl who moved into Mango street. She quickly befriends Rachel and lucy, two sisters that live across the street from her. As is any other girl, Esperanza is growing up and gets a sudden interest in boys noticing her. Thats when she befriends Sally, whos a bit more sexually mature then Esperanza and her friends. Sally uses sex as a way to escape her abusive father. Soon enough Esperanza is ready to leave Mango street. Other main characters are Mama and Papa her parents and Nenny her little sister. What I really like about the book is how the overall message is relatable, we've all been in situations when we were the "new kid" or simply just didn't like our neighborhood and dreamt of the day we get to leave. 

The House On Mango Street is genuiely an amazing book covering all the hard parts of being a teen and young adult. I think the book is definitely one for young kids to read just to get a taste of what puberty can do to you, and how it can make you feel. It also shows that stressing over situations really does you no good, and one day you'll look back on your childhood and wish you could go back to it. And overall i'd rate this book a soild 10/10.