Choosing a career path | Teen Ink

Choosing a career path

August 27, 2019
By FOREVERARMY17 BRONZE, Alexandria, Other
FOREVERARMY17 BRONZE, Alexandria, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I’ve come to love myself for who I am, who I was, and for who I hope to become.”


Choosing your career path from a very young age is demanding,as a year 11 student I still don’t know how many teens before me managed to do it.From parents pressuring us into a specific career path to hesitanetness while choosing your November session subjects as we didn’t even get our year 10 grades yet.It’s incredibly stressful that as IG students we have to make the life changing choice while asking ourselves what do we want to be when we grow up?’You will know your path after experiencing year 10’ they said but after answering tons of past papers and practically living in centers after school I still didn’t get the answer to my question. I couldn’t find myself in any of the typical careers. I didn’t ‘fall in love’ with any of the typical subjects that I took since first grade.I am aware that many of my friends will continue with Maths or biology for the rest of their lives but what about the others?What about the teens who are lost and still don’t know what to do.I bet we feel more pressured than those who have their career path created in front of them. Now hear me out,I’m not saying that people who chose their careers are not scared of failing or anything but they also have a slim chance of not liking the subject meanwhile some of us still doesn’t have any thing drawn in their career path and they try to hide by choosing an OL or 2 to study in November session or even take an AS while being aware that they might not like it.Like I’ve said before I know that many teens before I was even born managed to choose a path for themselves and continue building a career for themselves in it,I’ve even saw a couple of people do that,but I can’t help but think about the downsides of all of this and how we still have so much things to learn about our selves.I always think that we still have a very long path of self realization and finding our own path to our minds and soul and knowing what we truly love to do and be completely passionate about it,but during this path we also have a change in our mindsets that’s how we grow up from children to teens and from teens to young adults so how does society pressure us to choose a career from this age while between myself and my mind I know that after a couple of years I could fall out of love for the career I choose for myself while being young.People always ridicule Egyptians for choosing a career path then working in a completely different one but I think that it’s because of an early decision like this there is a chance of changing our career paths in the future;however,there is always a percentage of other teens who stick to the path they’ve chosen for themselves and pave a way for themselves in this career.In the meantime I really hope for us all to find our true interests within our selves.Some of us finds it from a very young age while others find it later in life but no matter the time that we find them I truly hope we always fight for them and continue to be passionate about them.


The author's comments:

Hiiii,well this is my first time writing here and I hope that all IGCSE students all over the world could relate to this too.Hope you all enjoyed it💕