The Tree Outside | Teen Ink

The Tree Outside

For this presentation of my set piece, I would like to share “the tree outside”.  I like trees, they always give people a great feeling as we are staying with nature.  Especially when I was observing it.  

This tree outside has been planted since 1960, almost the time when our school started.  It contains memories and stories.  At the bottom of this tree, there is a plaque dedicated to Gerald Austin, who was a professional educator.  This tree is a measuring stick for our school year.  It changes throughout the year.  Its leaves are green and full in August, when the school year starts.  They change colors from green to red in fall, then fall from the tree in winter.  They grow back when we finish the school year in June.  This tree welcomes and bids us with the same look.  It leads us to think about how we started, how we ended and most importantly, the memories we’ve made here.  The tree has strong branches, they spread out and make a shape similar to a hemisphere.  The branches are the key times of school and the leaves are the important events.  Although this tree doesn’t have flowers, it smells fresh and clean.  The leaves become a musical instrument when wind blows as they shake and touch each other.  Its music is relaxing and enjoyable, even better than some woodwinds.  This tree is a popular spot for Lunch and Brunch because its shade can block off the bright sunlight.  It is always full of people gathering around it.  

Now we’re in fall, and the top of the tree has started to turn red.  Which means a new journey is ready to begin, a new goal is awaiting set, a new life of school is going to start.  All of these might be what Gerald wants to see, what Gerald wishes, and what is the meaning of school.  

This article is mentioning about a tree outside the Language Arts classroom.  It has a plaque dedicated to a teacher, who was a one of the greatest asset of our school.