Decision Day | Teen Ink

Decision Day

By sitzerashlie BRONZE, Ontario, New York
sitzerashlie BRONZE, Ontario, New York

Time is a funny thing. I have never understood how a single day can feel like a lifetime but a year can feel like a few minutes. This is especially true when it comes to my academic career. I always have envisioned 2022 being so far away, and that I would never graduate. Now, I have a short 3 months left and it feels like I just started high school. I’ve thought about what I would do after high school since 7th grade. But even with this, decision day is coming fast and I have no idea where I will go to college.

Which brings me to my opinion. Decision day, which for most schools is May 1st, is way too early. For someone like me, who applied to 11 schools, I don’t have nearly enough time to weigh my options and pick where my next four years will be. On top of this, I would much rather spend April making memories than stressing about how I will choose a college. I am so worried about whether or not I will be making the right decision, and not thinking about what I would actually enjoy. I feel so much stress in picking, and I truly feel moving the date would solve some issues. Students would be able to really explore all of their options. And if they don’t need the extra time, they don’t have to use it. They can submit their enrollment deposit months ahead of time. My final decision comes out March 31st, which gives me just about a month to decide. If this date was pushed, maybe to June, that would give me more time to sit and think about what I really want.

My last few months of high school should be spent doing things I love with friends I will never forget. Instead, I sit stressing about financial aid and how I will ever be able to stand leaving my small town. This stress for many can be easily fixed, just by changing the date. Time moves fast, and I don’t want to miss any of the last few months I have left because I am constantly worrying about my future.

My name is Ashlie and I plan on majoring in Chemistry. I haven't decided where I want to go yet for college, which is why I wrote this piece.