Perfectionism in the academic world | Teen Ink

Perfectionism in the academic world

By hmeyers BRONZE, New City, New York
hmeyers BRONZE, New City, New York

The motto "A community with high expectations and high academic achievement" is commonplace in advertising for schools today. What happens when the students internalize this motto and push beyond academic achievement to attempt to achieve true academic perfectionism? 

Academic validation is essential to the literary world to ensure work consistency and accuracy. Without it, many would commit to being successful. Achieving academic success has real benefits. According to a New York Times editorial, it fosters a work ethic, a habit of setting high standards for oneself, and—most importantly—intellectual development.

As stated by a 3.8 GPA University of North Carolina undergraduate, academic validation, "Lets me know I am doing well and getting where I need to be. For me, it's like a safety net."

Students enjoy this reassurance before making a decision. The praise of good grades can be a positive and powerful motivator. Students can base their self-identity on their academic performance, given the accolades they receive from a young age. Ever since adolescence, children in the educational system have believed that getting good grades is the only way to succeed. 

The need to overachieve and excel academically has many adverse effects as well. Students who strive for academic excellence become perfectionists. This leads adolescents to stay up late, suffer socially, or be at the point of mental burnout. The "Gifted Kid Burnout" is real—kids who do exceptionally well when young get overworked and have no energy to deal with their studies. Similarly, many students use academic validation as a positive feedback loop. 

"How many times have you been extra proud of your grade on a test because your teacher congratulated you for it? That is an example of academic validation. You feel more accomplished just because the teacher was there to validate you for your grade," The Teen Mag describes. 

The new generation romanticizes academic validation by making it sound satisfactory. People overwork themselves until they burnout. The desire to be ranked #1 in your class and go to an ivy league school takes a toll on a student's mental health. Students who rely solely on academic validation neglect other aspects of their lives, such as their health, social life, and extracurriculars.

According to Newport Institute Experts, "Two-thirds of high school students and 87% of college students find themselves stressed about their academics."

We as a society need to stop feeding teens the idea that grades determine life outcomes. These thoughts are detrimental to the mental health and well-being of our students.

It's easy to fall into this loop of praise but remember; grades don’t define you. 

Look to the future, not that one 70 from 2 months ago.

This piece is about struggles with perfectionism in the academic world. It's very personal because I felt I was criticizing myself while writing it. I hope that people can relate to it and that it causes them to reflect on their academic experiences. Recently, TikTok has been romanticizing school mainly as encouragement. Videos showing 100s and aesthetic notebooks should inspire and motivate teens to be better. I think it can definitely do that but it can pose more harm than good over time.