High School | Teen Ink

High School

By 4ignatowski SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4ignatowski SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear high school student,

I know life has felt stressful and overwhelming recently, but don’t be too hard on yourself. It may seem as though school and sports consume your life. I am very familiar with this. But, it does get better… eventually. 

In my experience, I have never felt much pressure from my parents to excel in school or sports. Instead, they have always said “as long as you try your best”. Which I think has made me put pressure on myself. They may not expect excellence, but I do. Which causes all my stress and exhaustion. It feels as though I never get a break. Each day is the same. I have this stigma to be perfect in everything, and it honestly is miserable. 

So, even though it may seem hard right now, keep in mind that it will get easier. It may be worth it. Prioritize what is truly important in your life. In certain instances, you may feel as though you have no time for any fun, friends, or even family, but this is only one time period of your life. Put in the effort, excel, and just remember it gets better… eventually. 

Sincerely, 

A fellow high school student 

I have been playing soccer since I was 3. Which is about 14 years. It has been a very big commitment, but it has been so worth all my effort.