Just Because I'm Smart | Teen Ink

Just Because I'm Smart

By JessicaMollie BRONZE, Hawera, Other
JessicaMollie BRONZE, Hawera, Other

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I am (apparently) a gifted student. Most people think I've got it easy, and i a way I do, but it doesn't mean there aren't downsides. People never see ME.

Just because I'm smart, it doesn't mean I'm deaf. I can hear what you say about me, and it does hurt. I do have feelings, and, if anything, they are probably more easily hurt than yours .

Just because I'm smart and I use big words doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to me. I want to be treated like a person too. Don't assume you won't understand me just because I use big words in class. I can speak your language too, and anyway, you might end up learning a new word.

Just because I'm smart, doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. And it most deifnitely doesn't mean that you can laugh at me when i do et something wrong. Just because I can answer the questions, doesn't mean I am going to get cocky about it, so I don't need you trying to cut me down when I mess up, because it's not like you don't mess up too.

Just because I'm smart, doesn't mean I'm not human, doesn't meant don't get hurt by what you say. Just because I'm smart, it doesn't mean I want to be...

This is to all the people at my school who think that I don't have any feelings just because I'm smarter than them....Just because I'm smart enough to not let my feelings show...

mudpuppy BRONZE, Orangeburg, South Carolina

Life is like a box of cheese and flower petal sometimes it's soft and sweet, sometimes it just plain stinks. - M.J.

Five out of five. You that people would eventally learn to treat everyone the way they would want to be treated. Every since elemetry school I have to deal with bullies and fair-weather friends. These girls were calling me 'a teacher's pet' last year and one was even sent out of the class because of it! They eventally stop, but stuff like that is easy to forgive, but hard to forget. :(

KunaiNinjaFighter SILVER, Monticello, Arkansas

"Think left and thing right, Think low and Think High, Oh the thinks you can think up, if only you try!" Dr. Suess oh and "Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'- Albert Einstein

I know what you mean. I get wierd looks because I use words that have more than three silibles. I get made fun of, then the people that make fun of me come to me and ask all sweet like, "Hey, can I borrow your homework?", which in layman's terms means, "Hey, I'm your best friend, let me copy off of you."

babygirlinthetardis BRONZE, Snaith, Other
1 article 1 photo 14 comments
Totally agree with you, I get it all the time - if I ever get something wrong everyone acts like its such a big deal and won't let it go, the rest of the time they're just copying my work. Really well written too.

alaskatrailmutt, Jefferson, Maryland
I agree with all of you to. It's very anoying when people want to sit by you and act like your "friend" just so they can copy your paper or ask for awnsers (I frown). They think by saying thy'll make you popular you'll make them smart. Just proves they have no idea whats importint. lol.

fibonaccimathgenius BRONZE, Birmingham, Michigan

"I'm going to bed before you two come up with a worse idea to get us killed -- or worse, expelled." -- Hermione Granger, HP #1 <3 :]

Liz891, I'm 13 in 10th grade, too!

And I know exactly what both you and the author are talking about!

People say really mean stuff that I have to deal with and I don't have any real friends.

on Jun. 24 2010 at 10:30 am
Liz891 PLATINUM, Endwell, New York

I don't know what to write here. :D
P.S. I'm really hyper!!!!!!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean. I skipped two grades so I'm actually 13 in tenth grade. And people are always looking at me with disturbing looks and they're always saying stuff about me when they think I'm not listening. But, I'm happy I've got my friends that are in eighth grade.

Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut

A wise word does not make the speaker wise.

I hear you, believe me I do.

elfiewrites BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey

"The seat of knowledge is in the head, of wisdom, in the heart."~William Hazlitt
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."

I feel you! I get looked at differently for being in all honors. Anyways, very well written article!

JacobC GOLD said...
JacobC GOLD, Belgium, Wisconsin

"Am I indecisive? Well, yes and no." -Anonymous

I know how you feel.  I get called names for having red hair and freckles.  Whenever I get a question wrong in class kids laugh and act like it's the end of the world.  No one acts normal around me, like I'm some sort of alien creature.  It is so bad that I wonder if the people who are nice to me just do it because they feel sorry for me.

ChocolateThunder, Cayce, South Carolina

You are beautiful just the way you are

I know exactly what u mean! im very smart and other kids get nasty and pick on me just because i am! hello...im human too i can hear wat ur saying!

xxhollyxx BRONZE, Perth, Other
don't be sorry

you're going to actually get somewhere in life, while these people picking on you aren't going anywhere....

stay strong.....

:)

Courtney Coffman BRONZE, Dennison, Ohio
I know exactly what you mean, theres always so much pressure on me to do well on tests and stuff because my classmates expect it, they make a big deal about it if i mess up, but they mock me if i get an awesome grade. Sometimes i want to slack off a little like everyone else but its like i don't feel i can

Dreaa:D BRONZE said...
Dreaa:D BRONZE, Del Rio, Texas
I am number two of my class right now and during the year i've been switching spots around in rankings but have always stayed in the top 3 spots. I never really get treated to where they pick on me for beingsmart I get picked on for not being number one. I am a person that never takes anything seriously so I try not to let it bother me. The one thing that does bother me is when everyone wants to copy my homework! that drives me nuts! Just stay strong, you'll be the kid with the great career and they'll be the kids flipping burgers! hah!:D

ShernayB. DIAMOND, Southfield, Michigan

"Some things will never change"---Tupac

i feel the same way you do.

a lot of people treat me differently because I'm smart.

a lot of people give me nasty looks when i answer a question.

a lot of people make groans and moans when its always me that make an exceptional grade on an essay or something.

a lot of people hate on me.

but I don't care. I know i'm smart and I will not let anyone tear me down because im smart.

PoisonedLove SILVER, Hobbs, New Mexico

They all happen to be from David Levithan since he is my favorite author

"You will always be my always"
"Remember that at any given moment there are a thousand things you can love."
"Being a b*** is easy. It's finding the alternative that's hard."

I'm considered a gifted student as well, so I know how you feel. Plenty of kids treat me that way and it gets hard a lot of times. Just hang in there :3

JessicaMollie BRONZE, Hawera, Other

I know. It's like you can't win with some people. If you get it wrong, it's "aren't you meant to be smart?" and if you get it right, it's "Know-it-all". So unfair.

lost_in_myself, Brookfield, Missouri
I know how you feel. Sometimes in class if I'm not 100% sure I won't raise my hand just because I know if I'm wrong, I'll get made fun of. Apparently since I'm smart at some things I'm supposed to know everything about everything.

Robkingett PLATINUM, Tallahassee, Florida

When I was little they called me a liar, but now I'm grown up, they call me a writer.

I feel the same way, though only a little. In my school, I consider it an honor to be in honors English class. I'm gifted, so they say, but there are way smarter people than me out there. Heck, I may even be smrter than you we can all lern from each ither, intelligent or not. I think intelligent people have more to share with other gifted people though, more than they know. in my school, I'm considered wise and an old soul. I don’t bring up big words in class, but I am the kind of gifted kid that brings up independent discussions. I'm proud to be wise and thoughtful, and all you haters can go study for a change… it may help…

writingrox BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore)

I felt the same way at my old school. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this.

JessicaMollie BRONZE, Hawera, Other

Thanks. Good to know I'm not the only one.