Crucible Essay: Dynamic Characters | Teen Ink

Crucible Essay: Dynamic Characters

March 1, 2013
By ShannonLaDieu SILVER, Waycross, Georgia
ShannonLaDieu SILVER, Waycross, Georgia
7 articles 4 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
The best part of beauty is that no picture can express- Loren blake Chosen House of Night serise
mee-uf-ow!- Nala(Zoey's Cat) House of night Books
since when has public making-out become a turn-on for you?- Zoey Redbird


The Crucible

The play The Crucible actually takes place in Salem Boston during the time of the Salem witch trials. Throughout the story of The Crucible written by Arthur Miller there were many dynamic characters. Some of these characters include characters such as Abigail Williams and Reverend Perris. In my opinion one of the most dynamic characters has got to be John Proctor. John Proctor has many characteristics that made him one of the most important dynamic characters of the crucible.

One of the characteristic that make Mr. John Proctor such a dynamic character is the fact that he admitted his mistake. John admitted to committing adultery with Abigail Williams “I have which broke one of the Ten Commandments “Thou shalt not commit adultery”. This is one of the most important of the Ten Commandments. In act one of the play us as the audience finds out that he had indeed had an affair with the promiscuous Abigail Williams “Abby I may think of you softly from time to time. But I will cut off my hand before I’ll ever reach for you again. Wipe it out of mind. We never touched Abby. (Miller, Elements of Literature fifth course: The crucible, 2005, p. 15)”. This quote basically gives us the suspicion that he is sorry for what he has done. The play then continues into act two where we find John trying to please his “Ill trusting” Wife Elizabeth Proctor. “I have not moved from there to there without I think to please you, and still an everlasting funeral marches round your heart. I cannot speak but I am doubted, every moment judged for lies, as thou I come into a court when I come into this house. (Miller, Elements of Literature fifth course: The crucible, 2005, p. 28)”. This quote basically tells us (the audience) how sorry he is: and just how much he wants to please Elizabeth. Later on in the play in Act three we find out just how far John is willing to go to prove he is a sorry man, by confessing to Hawthorne that he did indeed have an affair with Abigail Williams. “I have known her, sir. I have known her. (Miller, Elements of Literature fifth course: The crucible, 2005, p. 49)”.

During the later Acts of this play show the fact that John Proctor is in fact a very sensible man. John Proctor doesn’t believe in all of the “Witch craft” in Salem. He in fact states “I’ve heard you to be a sensible man, Mr. Hale. I hope you’ll leave some of it in Salem. (Miller, Elements of Literature fifth course: The crucible, 2005, p. 21).”. This quote is actually later supported by John trying to get his wife’s helper Mary to confess that the girl’s accusations were made up. They were in fact nothing more than a lie or pretense. “Aye, sir. She swears now that she never saw Satan; not any spirit, vague, or clear, that Satan may have sent to hurt her. And she declares her and her friends are lying now. (Miller, Elements of Literature fifth course: The crucible, 2005, p. 44)”. Due to this accusation John proctor was tossed into jail which brings me to my final reasoning.
John proctor was willing to die than damn all the others. This decision makes him pretty noble to my eyes. John proctor actually said “You use not use me! I am no Sarah Good or Tituba, I am John Proctor! You will not use me! It is no part of salvation that you should use me! (Miller, Elements of Literature fifth course: The crucible, 2005, p. 62)”. This statement shows the sense of pride that Jon proctor still withhold in himself. John Proctor becomes so proud that he shocks the whole “Counsel” by ripping the confession up in front of their faces. John proctor then states the following: “Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name! (Miller, Elements of Literature fifth course: The crucible, 2005, p. 62)”. John saying that signed his “Death note” by proclaiming this statement as well as ripping the confession.
In the end there were many Dynamic Characters I could have chosen. But I personally choose John Proctor. Reading over it I believe you understand why he is such a Dynamic character. John Proctor has displayed an abundance of changes in this play. In my option the morals of the story are these: You cannot believe everything that is said: and “Everyman has their mistakes. It’s what you choose to do after them that are important.”



References
Miller, A. (2005). Elements of literature Fifth Course: The crucible. Austin: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.


The author's comments:
This is actually an school assignment I had to do for my English 11 class.