Measuring Up (and Its Issues) | Teen Ink

Measuring Up (and Its Issues)

By jasonboyyo BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
jasonboyyo BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas

Beauty is widely regarded as physical attractiveness. When you see someone, you generally rate them on the way they look, whether it be friendly or angry, pretty or ugly. While many say that we should not do that, it is just a natural reaction. But what truly makes someone beautiful? I believe it is more than the way they appear. Rather, it’s how they treat others. Anyone can have a symmetrical face and still be seen as ugly because of the way they treat others. Anyone can have the worst face on the entire planet yet still be considered beautiful because of how compassionate they are. It is whether or not they have enough love in their hearts to give to others when they need it and be kind to others without prompting. Although, of course, this person is not without their own faults. We all have our problems and, no matter how kind or evil we are, must accept that as a part of us.

Beauty goes beyond societal standards, no matter how much they would disagree, because we are all unique and putting a group of diverse people into one mold will not work. The standard for beauty should be self-acceptance. Learning to love yourself is a difficult thing to do, despite what the “be yourself” posters might say. If there was less pressure on everyone to fit this mold of height, weight, or body size, then everyone will feel less pressure because they know they are not the only ones who look a certain way. The beauty inustry should bring in more “short” models (the average height of a normal person and a model is vastly different), “plus-size” models (size/weight is also drastically different compared to the average person and the average model), and color (despite what the modelling industry believes, not everyone is white). While the beauty industry has been improving over the last decade or so, there are still many things to improve on. Believing that everyone should fall into one category based on what one forty-year-old man with a fashion line a superiority complex is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone is a different shape, size, and color, and everyone is beautiful.