Not Scared of the Pandemic but Scared to Die of Hunger | Teen Ink

Not Scared of the Pandemic but Scared to Die of Hunger

May 20, 2020
By roux03lugo25m BRONZE, Austin, Texas
roux03lugo25m BRONZE, Austin, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Rich people are scared about this pandemic but poor people or the middle class are scared of not having something to eat. It’s a catch-22. Work to eat or starve and quarantine. Because of this dilemma, many Mexican citizens don't follow the guidelines that are being followed in the U.S. because it's in their responsibility to go to work so that they can have something to eat for that day because many live paycheck to paycheck and off of what they get paid day to day. Protecting everyone is not necessarily happening if there isn't protection for everybody. Making everyone stay at home is not necessarily possible for everyone  if the government is not giving money to all for the days they don't go to work.


Parents work to feed their children everyday. Now they have to work even harder during this pandemic to keep their job and inequity further complicates the matter. Currently, "Hispanics are nearly twice as likely as whites to have lost their jobs amid the coronavirus shutdowns." In addition to this, once Hispanics lose their jobs, they will only have enough money. For example, a single mother named Carolina Malagamba who lives in New York and is one of those hispanics who is unemployed at the moment."I am living the day to day. I'm a single mother; I have to work this alone. I know that today I have money to pay the next two rents and eat and that's it, after that I don't know." More people like Ms. Malagamba are worried about catching this virus but at the moment they have to confront this. "Faced with this situation, the educator is evaluating returning to Mexico. However, she is afraid that when the health crisis passes they will not let her return to New York."If there are Hispanic people who live in the U.S. unemployed then they will start to have no other choice to return to their country where there are not as many guidelines because the government knows the hard work they have to go through.

 

In conclusion, we shouldn't just think about this pandemic and forget the other problems we have because everything now is being excused by Covid-19.Families need to keep working and that is not going to change just because the government wants to see that.Now, it's easier to die of hunger than die because of the Coronavirus.


Paul, Fernanda. "Coronavirus: la preocupante situación de quienes se han

     quedado sin empleo por la pandemia." BBC News, 22 Mar. 2020, www.bbc.com/

     mundo/noticias-51965582. Accessed 15 May 2020. 


The author's comments:

With this pandemic I care about everybody being safe and I want people to be noticeable about their economic problems and the reason why they can't keep following the guidelines.