Equallyity for ALL | Teen Ink

Equallyity for ALL

By little_miss_insanely_blunt GOLD, Carrollton, Texas
little_miss_insanely_blunt GOLD, Carrollton, Texas

They can do things. They are inventions.
I can't do the things they do. I can invent.
-David Levithan in "How They Met"

One of the fastest rising issues in modern day America is rights for the homosexual and bisexual. One side of the argument believes that two people of the same sex involved in a romantic or sexual relationship is wrong, disgusting and is looked down upon. Due to our government it is nearly impossible for homosexuals to receive the same treatment as heterosexuals. On the other side, people realize it is unfair and prejudice for these people to have limited rights for something they ultimately cannot control. Many people across America don’t know what it means to be homosexual. Homosexuality is defined as an enduring pattern of or disposition to experience sexual, affectionate, or romantic attractions to people of the same sex. Some believe that it is also a behavioral or social pattern. I believe it is a part of someone’s being; just like how you have blue eyes and I have brown. Even though it takes some a long time to find out, it doesn’t mean it’s something they can change on a whim. Could you just wake up one day and decide to like the same gender? So then why be so discriminate about it? If you can’t control your feeling in that way, then why do we make such a big deal out of keeping them with fewer rights than heterosexuals? The US Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy forbids homosexuals or bisexuals to be open with their sexuality while serving in the armed forces. They believe that it "would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline" which is to say that other would countries look down at us if we have homosexuals in our army. The high standards of America will not be brought down by a bisexual or homosexual member. You know what totally makes sense: The country known for freedom that won’t allow someone who’s different to be different. That’s not all that is unfair. Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender couples cannot adopt children by law. Imagine a little orphan boy sitting by himself in an orphanage. He’s crying in his room, because he’s all alone. He thinks that nobody wants him. You tell me, reader, why we can’t let gay or lesbian couples adopt him. We won’t let that happen because were too afraid that that couple will influence him to be homosexual. Were afraid they will sexually abuse him. We could worry about that just as much when we give him to a heterosexual couple, almost even more so because we won’t even allow him to be with homosexual couples. Maybe while he’s sitting there all alone wondering why no one loves him, he’ll thank us for not giving him open people to care for him the way he deserves to be cared for. We assume that because they are different, they are undeserving. We have thought the same way before about blacks and women. Look where we are now; our first African American president was just elected in a running with a woman. We have learned to treat everyone equally before. Until we give these people the rights they deserve, we are no better than the oppressive men who denied women their rights and we are no better than the Ku Klux Klan. I know which side I stand on, do you?

I am not gay. But that doesn't stop me from trying to stop what is wrong.

FluteChick PLATINUM, Jefferson, Oregon
I agree with you totally. My best friend is gay and I think that he deserves the same rights as I have. Plus, he shouldn't have to be afraid to be open about his sexual orientation. Thank you for this article.