Reforming Police in Colombia | Teen Ink

Reforming Police in Colombia

May 31, 2021
By Yandel BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
Yandel BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Colombia has had decades-long conflicts with violence and war. "La Guerilla" is a term used for a civil war in Colombia from 1964 to 2013, one of Colombia's darkest times, resulting in 220,000 deaths and involvement in violence with rebel groups such as the FARC and the ELN. Colombia's national police fought on the front lines with tanks and other war machines. They were a force mainly used for war, yet they found another one with its citizens. 


The way the authorities deal with this problem is not the most efficient or the most equitable solution to a supposedly “peaceful protest.” The Colombian authorities should end the demonstrations of brutality against their citizens to guarantee safety and respect for the human rights of them. "They see us as the enemy knowing that we are citizens,'' Said Alexis Medina, a protester that was brutally beaten and forced to drink their urine. More than 120 protesters have experienced violations of their human rights in many different ways, for example, death, sexual assault, torture, and more. "The Colombian Authorities must stop the unnecessary use of violence against protesters because it has resulted in many acts of human rights violations." It is necessary to reform the way Colombia authorities deal with the amount of unnecessary violence.


The demonstrations of people's rights being violated have been increasing; according to Amnesty International and The New York Times, 26 people were killed due to repression by the National Police and 761 arbitrary detentions. The same organizations also reported 142 victims getting mistreated, nine victims that experienced sexual assault, and 56 reports of people disappearing. There were many reports of attacks against journalists, including acts of physical violence, arbitrary arrests, and the deletion of journalistic material." According to the UHDR Article 18, "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers." And Article 20, "Everybody has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association." 


To achieve justice to those who have put their lives in order to make Colombia a better nation. Colombia authorities need to start changing, changing the way they use violent force because it's not just violating many citizen's rights, it's also generating a thought that violence is acceptable. The Inter-America Commission of Human Rights created an agreement in 2013 to cease war and reassure the citizen's safety. It also created a generation that believed that for once in decades, they will live in peace. Yet, they were wrong. Johan Moreno, a lawyer in the department of Santander who was wearing a vest that said "Legal Team," but that did not serve as protection for the reason that he was also brutally beaten. After days of violence, fear, and protests, we start seeing some changes, "All violence and against civilians and public servants should be deeply investigated and punished," Said Ivan Duque. 


The author's comments:

I'm a student at the International School of Kenya, for humanities we are supposed to take a stand or defend someones rights, we have to either make an essay or a letter to someone or an orgnaization that we believe could help us make a change. My topic is about all the conflict that is going in Colombia, for example police brutality or human rights violations. I wanted to make a change and reform how authorities in Colombia deal "peaceful" demonstrations.