This Day in the Future | Teen Ink

This Day in the Future

March 16, 2009
By jadenex246 SILVER, Sunapee, New Hampshire
jadenex246 SILVER, Sunapee, New Hampshire
8 articles 5 photos 2 comments

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.'
-Mark Twain

Times are a-changin along with the people, lifestyles, occupations, cultures and everything else that makes up our world. Although we can never strictly predict the future and where we are headed, there certainly have been many attempts at it. So what does the future have in store for us anyways? Flying cars, levitation, and out-of-this-world-electronics? Quite possibly. Maybe we'll even become a 'brave new world' acquiring complete equilibrium. That'd be boring. But before you get all ecstatic about purchasing an ipod that not only provides phone, internet, and transportation services but will make you a sandwich as well, really take the future into consideration.

There are going to be intense changes. Our population will increase at an unmanageable rate. We will build superior cities that will grow immensely bigger and receive so much power. Our world will soon give in to pollution as rises to an uncontrollable level. Or maybe we can try and invent ways to save areas from this disorder and not cut through our rainforests? It has been predicted that cars will be programmed to auto drive using a combination of radar and a GPS unit to operate. You will get in, tell your car where to go, and it will drive you there. You won't even have to lift a finger. How convenient.
At any rate we need to start doing things now to affect our future in a good way. We are the only ones who can change it, and we have the capability to do it.

A lot of people may ask themselves, is there even anything significant left to invent? or is any new invention just going to be improvements to existing ones? Like the latest 124th version of the ipod nano, or Windows Vista 2010, no thanks. Will we invent things to save this planet? Or just create ridiculous amounts of technology that will allow us to go to school without even getting out of bed? I'm going to guess the latter. But we don't need those things first. What we need are inventions to save lives, save cultures, save the earth.

Medical cures, energy sources, ecological friendly products, improved planetary travel, social and cultural development, more reliable forms of communication that won't give any DROPPED CALLS. These are essential things that must be created over time. These are the vital things. Hopefully these crucial things will be invented over time before sandwich making ipods. Necessity is the mother of invention, so the saying goes.


This world is much, much smaller than you make it out to be. We feed through a mass of trivial moments shared and then forgotten, leaving no sign of its passing for the rest of the lives that collide with ours. This world we somehow survive in revolves around the tiny electric impulses roaring through our heads, sending gentle beats to our chest. It's so little. So fragile. Yet, the future of the world depends on these impulses. It depends on our actions. The world is in our hands now. So what are you going to do?