Should schools be allowed to punish students for what they post on social media? | Teen Ink

Should schools be allowed to punish students for what they post on social media?

By theholypanda SILVER, Queens, New York
theholypanda SILVER, Queens, New York

The United States of America. Most commonly known as the ‘land of the free’ and even ‘land of opportunities’ by many around the world. Yet, to Americans, this is something that is just natural and part of a daily life. The very natural right given to them by the Bill of Rights that they often take for granted, completely blinded by their privileges of being an American citizen. These actions often force the public to question the extent that their freedom is protected by the First Amendment and the efficacy and legality of it. This question is especially discussed due to the prevalence of social media in our age and time, creating new forums and ways to connect with each other. Instead of using it for good, some use it to harm society. Therefore, schools should be able to punish students for what they post on social media if it is inappropriate or jeopardizes the civility of the school environment. 

It's imperative that schools take a strict measure on student’s speech in social media. The rise of social media causes more and more young people to get hooked on it, not knowing the negative effects. As important as it is for schools to designate learning space for students, they also have a duty to maintain civility in schools and in classrooms. Punishing students for their speech on social media helps protect the safety of the school community and prevents emotional distress if it is inappropriate or lewd, especially in the case of cyberbullying. This helps better enforce policies on how students should behave towards each other.