Is the American Dream still a thing? | Teen Ink

Is the American Dream still a thing?

What is the American dream? The American dream is the belief that anyone, regardless of where they were born or what class they were born into, can attain their own version of success in a society in which upward mobility is possible for everyone.

This dream is slowly fading away due to inflation and prices of things skyrocketing and people can't save money so they can achieve any success in society. The only thing they can do is survive. Just like my immigrant grandparents that came to the U.S. to seek the american dream for a better life for my mom and her siblings they worked in the fields with the money in their retirement they barely made it due to inflation. 

December 4, 2023. According to a new Wall Street Journal poll, only 36% of Americans believe the American dream still holds true, down from 53% in 2012. Household has to spend an extra $10,344 per year in order to enjoy the same standard of living as in January, 2021. 

The increase in income inequality, political polarization, and systemic barriers to education have eroded the very foundations of this dream. Immigrants go through the waters for a better life. Entrepreneurs and innovators continue to thrive, driven by the prospect of success. And countless individuals, from all walks of life, strive to build a brighter future for themselves and their families. 

1940 had a 94% chance of earning more than their parents, compared with 70% for children born in 1980

The American Dream, we must address the issues that have diminished its accessibility. This requires a commitment to affordable education, equitable economic policies, and social justice. The diversity of American experiences and aspirations, of people wanting a better life. ¨The economic pain caused by inflation has left Americans cutting back on their spending, taking on more debt, and falling behind on their bills  ̈ .-John Thune Due to these circumstances my brother had to go to community college instead of wanting the american dream to go to a 4-year college.  As in previous years, most Americans, regardless of age, race/ethnicity, income, or education, believe they have either achieved the American Dream (33 percent) or are on their way to achieving it (42 percent).

By confronting our challenges and celebrating our diversity, we can reinvigorate this beacon of hope, ensuring that the American Dream remains a reality for generations to come. 

Consumers are so demoralized by inflation and high rates that they've given up on saving for the American Dream and are spending money instead, economist says.

¨We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by God, Creator, with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”-MLK

“It does not say all white men, but it says all men, which includes black men. It does not say all Gentiles, but says all men, which includes Jews. It does not say all Protestants but it says all men, which includes Catholics.”- MLK

This is piece was about the American Dream that i believe is fadding due to the fifnantial state we are in. This article relates to me because my grandparents are immigrants and its harder for me ot make more money then my parents due to inflation.