Uncovering Censorship: The Dangers of Banned Books in Society | Teen Ink

Uncovering Censorship: The Dangers of Banned Books in Society

By emilydong124 GOLD, Clarksville, Maryland
emilydong124 GOLD, Clarksville, Maryland

Award-winning author Laurie Halse Anderson once noted, "Censorship is the child of fear and the father of ignorance." Banning books, a prevalent form of censorship, has spiked in recent years, often under the guise of shielding children from racism, violence, and other potentially uncomfortable themes. However, this justification masks the anxieties of parents who shy away from exposing their children to diverse perspectives and engaging in challenging conversations. By restricting access to essential resources, book bans not only cultivate ignorance but also generate a cascade of detrimental consequences. The alarming surge in book bans over the past decade stifles the intellectual growth of young minds, representing a blatant violation of their fundamental rights. Ultimately, this rampant censorship pushes our society backward, undoing the hard-fought progress towards a more inclusive and informed future.

The act of banning books stunts the mental development of youth because it hinders individuals from affirming their identities including areas such as culture, race, religion, and sexuality. In particular, the book Lobizona, detailing the story of an undocumented immigrant hiding in the United States, has recently struggled to remain on shelves (Garba 5). Novels resembling Lobizona provide much-needed representation for thousands of children and have the potential to inspire many. For too many kids, reading Lobizona is the first time they see themselves reflected on the page, and therefore banning it would prevent children from developing a positive self-image. In addition, banned books like Lobizona often show perspectives that challenge societal norms and avoid stereotypes. Denying youth the opportunity to read these books could leave them with an inaccurate understanding about both themselves and the world around them. Strikingly, 80% of the top 10 banned books of 2020, and 33% of all banned books relate to LGBTQ+ experiences (Scottie 5). Banning books from libraries that narrate certain topics perpetuates harm. Targeting novels with LGBTQ+ perspectives signals to children that it is a controversial and problematic topic. To continue, the surplus of banned LGBTQ+ books may contribute to a lack of understanding. Misunderstanding can hinder children's ability to accept and express themselves authentically, and to feel sympathy for others. This misunderstanding also hinders children from feeling sympathy for others. Therefore, banned books hamper the development of empathy and critical thinking. Specifically, Toni Morrison's Beloved, a historical novel that depicts the story of Margaret Garner, an enslaved woman, was challenged in several school districts across the nation (Reibach 3). The plot educates its readers on slavery’s dreadful impact on African Americans. Banning books similar to Beloved severely limits students' opportunities to be exposed to diverse perspectives. For example, Beloved highlights the legacy of cultural trauma from slavery and calls for action to combat racism in today's society. Unfortunately, suppressing these novels fosters ignorance instead of empathy. As Caldwell-Stone (13) writes, "books, novels, true stories, and memoirs are ways of developing empathy for other people and their lives," and taking these tools away deprives youth of mental growth. Students can learn about the real world by reading topics that do not directly impact them. The content of most banned books is valuable for sparking classroom discussions. Banning these novels prevents students from engaging in healthy discussions that encourage critical thinking. Banned books provide children with a safe space to learn about different cultures, religions, and other ways of life. Denying children access to these books deprives them of the opportunity to understand society and develop empathy for those who are different.

Through restricting information, banning books directly contradicts several scholarly rights under the First Amendment of the Constitution. When books are banned, they violate students' right to academic freedom, the freedom of professors and students to teach or communicate ideas without punishment. For instance, in 2017, the novel Fanny Hill was taken out of the curriculum at the University of London as a result of student objections (Challenged Books). Banning books sends the message that certain topics are inappropriate, which encourages a culture of self-censorship. Self-censorship has a negative toll on mental health, since it fosters a sense of fear and enforces self-doubt among individuals when being unable to fully express themselves. Furthermore, taking Fanny Hill out of the entire school curriculum at the University of London prevents future generations from accessing the novel. Denying students the opportunity to gain knowledge limits curiosity among later generations, and stops them from forming their own opinions. Additionally, because of this censorship, banning books impedes the “development of academic library collections and services that” “meet the education and research needs of a college or university community” (Academic Freedom). By preventing institutions from providing sufficient learning materials, banned books counteract students from reading information that could help answer their questions and spark new pursuits. This stifles creativity, an essential skill across numerous fields that drives the discovery of new innovations and advancements. To continue, banning books also hurts academic progress, as they narrow down possible topics for intellectual discourse and debate. Students can no longer research topics that challenge the status quo and build the critical thinking skills necessary for reaching their full academic potential. In addition to academic freedom, which lies under the umbrella term of intellectual freedom, banning books also limits the entire intellectual freedom of citizens because it disrupts the free exchange of ideas.  To illustrate, there were 1,269 documented attempts of censoring library books and resources in 2022 (2022 Book Ban Data).  By removing hundreds of books from libraries, schools, and other facilities, people’s access to ideas are censored. This can discourage people from even attempting to express their ideas and share them with the world. Also, when these novels are restricted from the public, information becomes inaccessible, causing people to be uninformed and thus more vulnerable to manipulation or exploitation. Moreover, restricting the right to receive information has other consequences. For example, the Supreme Court held that “the right to receive ideas is a necessary predicate to the recipient’s meaningful exercise of his own rights of speech, press, and political freedom” (Board of Education v. Pico). Because the right to obtain information serves as an extension and requirement for individuals to fully exercise their rights, banned books lead to a loss of other freedoms including the rights of speech and press. Also, banned books go against the freedom of politics, as it counters the values of democracy. Citizens get denied access to information that can help them make informed decisions, which is the foundation of democracy. This can easily lead to authoritarianism, where the government uses book bans to control citizens and enforce specific stances.

Looking into the future, banning books leads to a path of a regressive society, as restricting literature promotes conformity and erases history. For example, in Fahrenheit 451, a dystopian novel in which the government censors its citizens from accessing information, the antagonist supports the idea that “we must all be alike;” “not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal” (Bradbury 58). In order to uphold control, the government promotes conformity and does so by violating fundamental rights of the constitution. Some believe that the only way to create a peaceful world is to force everyone to conform to a specific set of values and ban books for the sake of eradicating individuality. Fahrenheit 451 serves as a cautionary tale for society, proposing the potential result of banning books. Unfortunately, Fahrenheit 451’s fictional society has partially become reality. To illustrate, in two Texas school districts, the book “Maus” was banned, and teachers were ordered to teach their students opposing views about the Holocaust (Reilly 15). By banning “Maus,” a novel depicting a Holocaust survivor’s journey through the tragedy, both a person’s heart wrenching story and piece of history are erased. This leaves students uneducated about the harsh realities of the past and present, which increases the likelihood of future generations repeating the same injustices. Furthermore, forcing teachers to teach the perspectives of the oppressors rather than the valuable information in banned books can normalize the aggressors’ actions. Prioritizing their viewpoints limits exposure to the minority perspective, which may cause individuals to conform to the dominant ideology. Overall, banned books, promoting conformity, play a role in limiting diversity because they prey on underrepresented communities. According to a 2022 study by the American Library Association, over 50% of banned books address the topics of racism, sexism, and religion (Ford 6). Banned books often contain information that empower minorities and mitigate harmful ideologies in society. However, by disproportionately targeting books about racism, sexism, and religion, school districts are enforcing a form of self-censorship on minority groups.  People may feel so disheartened that they are unwilling to share their own ideas, believing that they will be banned anyway. Also, banned books discourage others from expressing their diverse cultures in ways like eating cultural foods or wearing ethnic clothing because of societal norms. In addition, as a result of limiting “certain perspectives from students’ literary repertoire,” it “[curates] a dangerously heteronormative, white-dominated narrative for student consumption” (Reilly 17). Banning books that focus on the unique perspectives of marginalized groups silences their voices and promotes a narrow-minded view of the world. This one-sided perspective reinforces systemic oppression, as those in control, including parents, librarians, and teachers, have the power to perpetuate racism, sexism, homophobia, and other forms of prejudice among the youth.

Overall, banning books and limiting access to information hinder the intellectual development of youth and violate constitutional rights, thereby forcing society onto a regressive path. Banning books that discuss race, religion, and sexuality sends the message that these topics are taboo and discourages people from embracing their identities or developing empathy for others. infringing on their intellectual and academic freedom rights. This lack of access to resources plays into the regression of society, too, as they encourage the erasure of history and diversity. Ultimately, banning books has numerous consequences that affect the world today, and in the future. Children, who will make up the next generation of leaders, must be given opportunities to develop their critical thinking skills and think independently. The knowledge located in banned books can help prevent historical tragedies from recurring and maintain a society that embraces the diversity of the world.

Works Cited

"Academic Freedom." American Library Association, 29 May 2007, www.ala.org/advocacy/cite?query=node%252F30&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.ala.org%252Fadvocacy%252Fintfreedom%252Facademicfreedom&title=Academic%2BFreedom%2B-%2BAdvocacy%2C%2BLegislation%2B%26%2BIssues.

Barron, Christina. "Banning Books Limits Kids' Curiosity." Washington Post, 29 Sept. 2021. SIRS Issues Researcher, explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2619298962?searchid=1683945597&accountid=3292.

"Book Banning Isn't a Thing of the Past. We Spoke to Authors Who Have Experienced It." The Washington Post, 27 Sept. 2021, p. NA. Gale in Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A676853566/SUIC?u=clar33415&sid=bookmark-SUIC&xid=9ffbf376.

Brennan, William J., Jr, and Supreme Court of The United States. U.S. Reports: Board of Education v. Pico, 457 U.S. 853. 1981. Periodical. Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/item/usrep457853/.

"Challenged Books." Gale In Context Online Collection, Detroit, MI, Gale, 2023. Gale in Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/TBDRPS151095769/SUIC?u=clar33415&sid=bookmark-SUIC&xid=2bbbc8f0.

"First Amendment and Censorship." American Library Association, 13 June 2008, www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/censorship.

Ford, Nadia. "Book Banning." Unsuitable, 2017, sites.duke.edu/unsuitable/book-banning/.

Mcneil, Jordan. "Let's Talk about It Instead of Banning It." University Wire, 15 Feb. 2016. SIRS Issues Researcher, explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2265383328?accountid=3292.

Reichbach, Sean. "Book Banning Must Be Stopped." University Wire, 10 Feb 2022. SIRS Issues Researcher, explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2628381201?accountid=211

Reilly, Emma. "Banning Books in Schools Is a Harmful, Exclusionary Practice." The Elm [Chestertown], 11 Feb. 2022, blog.washcoll.edu/wordpress/theelm/2022/02/banning-books-in-schools-is-a-harmful-exclusionary-practice/.

Scottie, Andrew. "Some of the Most Frequently Banned Books Feature LGBTQ Stories..." CNN Wire Service, 30 Sept. 2020. SIRS Issues Researcher, explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2457393550?accountid=3292.

"2022 Book Ban Data." American Library Association, 20 Mar. 2023, www.ala.org/advocacy/cite?query=node%252F2930&url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.ala.org%252Fadvocacy%252Fbbooks%252Fbook-ban-data&title=2022%2BBook%2BBan%2BData%2B-%2BAdvocacy%2C%2BLegislation%2B%26%2BIssues.