Healthcare | Teen Ink

Healthcare

People have the right to pursue happiness and have the right to have medical attention when needed. Healthcare is the largest industry in the United States. It spent $2.2 trillion dollars in 2007 and the industry is taking up 16.2% of the US economy. People in America believe that people should not be entitled to healthcare because it goes against the Declaration of Independence. A quote from the Declaration of Independence says, “We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.” Having unalienable rights to life entitles the people to have healthcare. The phrase of the Declaration of Independence does not mean it only pursues happiness, but gives people life, liberty, and happiness.

Healthcare should be a right to promote people equal opportunity. It helps decrease the number of people who are economically disadvantage in society. People go against it by saying that the government intervenes by spending more money on health care. My brother and I are in Medicaid health care and it does well for both of us. It doesn’t put us in disadvantage in society and gives out reasonable health care that is free. It provided us a lot of opportunities that we can have before we reach the age of 18.

Individual’s responsibility to ensure personal health makes people to choose healthier lifestyles. I do understand that people should be responsible to pick healthier lifestyles, but the way people are raised and the environment they live in makes it difficult to do. People can be raised by having a lifestyle of just eating and having no outdoor activity. A family can be those people who just constantly eat. Obesity is one of America’s problems, but it’s just a habit that people are tied up too and can’t break loose. I believe that a lot of health care problems can be from family history. For example, I’m young and I have high cholesterol just from the genes of my dad. It’s very difficult to turn it around and change that.

Healthcare should be a civil right. There could be people whose insurance won’t cover and can’t do anything about it. People have to pay money for it or they can’t afford to cover it for their family or kids. It puts a downfall on people and loses hope. Everyone is created equal and should have the right for healthcare. Not everybody can be rich and have all the help they want.

Healthcare is what helps America grow and be stronger as a whole. People should understand that not all people can change. Giving life to many other people who wants to see the world in their eyes is magical. People that wants to take that away from them, does not understand what they go through just to have medical attention.

ally03 BRONZE said...
ally03 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
I completely agree!  I can't comprehend why it hasn't become a civil right.  I mean look a the rest of the world... the U.S. is immensely behind and that definitely shows as a weakness to other countries.