Learn Our Language | Teen Ink

Learn Our Language

December 30, 2008
By Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"God hath not given me a spirit of fear, but that of power, love, and of a sound mind."


This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 201 comments.


on Jan. 17 2020 at 4:37 pm
SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments
Seriously... Why isn't English our nation's official language? It only makes sense to unite our nation by a single language.

on Jan. 17 2020 at 4:28 pm
SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments
How can you people be so ignorant?! First of all, it is not racist to suggest that immigrants should learn the language of a country before they move there. It helps us to assimilate and helps race relations. Second, English and Latin are the two languages of science. English is the most precise of any language, and therefore has the most applications. For example, other languages lack words for many things and instead use words commonly used across the board. This can be confusing. However, English has specific words that have their own contexts and can better articulate about certain topics.

on Jan. 17 2020 at 4:15 pm
SolInvictus76, Leavenworth, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 70 comments
I agree! It only hinders assimilation and is bad for race relations to make America multilingual. Canada, for example, has citizens that speak English and French. And they spend millions each year to make sure that people who can't speak English are pleased... EVEN THOUGH THE MAJORITY SPEAKS ENGLISH!!!

on Jan. 24 2019 at 7:53 pm
Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina
20 articles 0 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

If this bothers you so much, then why don't you bother to learn our language: Spanish? That's why America is called the "melting pot" of the world. It's totally not fair, or even moral, to tell immigrants to "learn our language or go home". Bring it down with all your racism, because as a bilingual person, this is very offensive to me and I know it is to others. It's very rude to say things like this. English may be the most common language, but that doesn't mean it's the only language that must be learned. In America, English is not the only language spoken, so get over it!

on Feb. 13 2018 at 6:30 pm
runandgo BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
sometimes you get run down. sometimes life throws dirt in your eyes and it stings and you can't see for a few minutes. even after you get it out your eyes are all red and your vision is s***ty... but eventually, whether through tears or maybe just time... you start to see even clearer than before. life is not always good. which is why music exists. why i believe God exists. and why there's always a pint of coconut milk ice cream in my freezer.

This is... wow, super racist. There is no national language in America for a reason, my dude. We as a country do not value any set of knowledge above another. It's not limiting the country to encourage being multilingual; it's actually propelling us forward. Many of those Spanish-speaking people also speak English, putting them a step ahead of most English-only speakers in the US. Also, if you say "learn our language or go home," you're revealing your anti-immigrant sentiment. Not everyone who speaks Spanish is an immigrant. Linguistically, no language is "gibberish." It's just that you're too dismissive to give it the time of day and try to understand it. I'm sure the Native Americans thought English was gibberish when we arrived, yet we still forced them to learn it, even though it was technically "their country." You should take a long hard look at yourself and think about why you feel this way, because it doesn't have a logical backing. (And maybe check your grammar, too -- you don't have a perfect grasp on the language either.)

Sesinae BRONZE said...
on Jun. 27 2017 at 5:38 pm
Sesinae BRONZE, APO AE , Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage and I promise you something great will come of it."

How come when a person from a foreign country comes to America they, in your words, should learn english or go home, but when Americans travel to other countries, they assume and speak to the locals in english? I live in Germany and a lot of U.S. soldiers and their families live here, but many do not learn German. Through your ideology, I could then say if you're an American living in Germany you should learn German or go home. That is absurd.

on Apr. 5 2017 at 1:01 pm
XSakuya.OhtoriX, San Francisco, California
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me what to do! This is my life to live, and I have to figure out why I'm here on my own terms!"

ok so.... I agree with thisguy223, Dude one thing you should understand about this country, and that is that diversity is a common thing in several parts of this country, some parts not as much, but this country should value its diversity and respect people of all races, even if they're different than you. I live in a city where diversity is everywhere, there's different neighborhoods with a lot different people of different color and social status, I myself am Chinese American, my neighbors are Irish, the childcare facility i work at is primarily African American, with kids and their families being other races. That is a perfect example of diversity, and I really love the fact that I get to know so many people of so many different cultures, who speak many languages

thisguy223 said...
on Oct. 19 2016 at 3:35 pm
thisguy223, Superior, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Maybe you should crack a book man. First of all, this country doesn't even have a real official language, English is just one of the most common. Second, this country is built up of people from all over the world, that's why we're such a diverse country. Most people do try to learn English, and that takes a long time, so in trying to learn the language and become a citizen, they don't always understand what people are saying when trying to help them. Boohoo, you have to occasionally listen to a sentence. I'm sure you'll get over it:)

on Jul. 17 2016 at 8:17 pm
sassy_scribe_777 BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
3 articles 5 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
Friends are God's way of apologizing to us for our families.

Exactly!! Besides that, a lot of people are refugees, and they don't have any means to learn the English. Plus, Spanish is the second most-spoken language in our country.

on Jan. 11 2016 at 12:36 pm
Meganinjaboy BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
White English speaking people immigrated to America and said "Yo we need some English up in here" to people called "NATIVE AMERICANS" who DID NOT know English. English in IS NOT the "official language" bud so stop

on Jan. 8 2016 at 11:57 am
Meganinjaboy BRONZE, Tempe, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
THANK YOU MY FRIEND

on Nov. 6 2015 at 1:07 pm
jessicamarshall BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I agree with this statement, “If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English.” It should be mandatory for everyone in America to speak English; however, no one can stop people from coming into the country and speaking Spanish. It is a good thing Spanish speaking people are in America because it helps make us a melting pot.

AndreB BRONZE said...
on Nov. 4 2015 at 1:00 pm
AndreB BRONZE, Sunshine, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments
I agree with the opinion that people should learn English if they want to live in America. You took the words out of my mouth when you said, “If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English.” This is a great argument and makes a very good point in my opinion.

chskx said...
on Nov. 10 2014 at 9:32 pm
do people not realize that there is no "our language" in terms of this country?

Chloe123 said...
on Jul. 16 2014 at 7:40 pm
This is simply disgusting. Do you understand how boring, narrow-minded and oppressive our country would be if we didn't support diversity? Aside from the fact that cultural diversity is just clearly better than a country full of white, English-speaking Americans, do you understand the concept of globalization? We need to be culturally diverse to continue to be a superpower economically and politically. It's as simple as that. And this claim that if they want to come to our country they should have the decency to learn English... do you understand what their lives are like before they came to America? The desire to feed one's children and escape the dangers of drug-trafficking are occasionally more compelling than the desire to provide the courtesy of learning English before you come to America so they don't have to assign a telephone button to press for you if you speak Spanish. The insensitivity and triviality of this article is outstanding. And depressing.

on May. 26 2014 at 6:59 pm
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

Gotta love the people that literally can't comprehend that no, the US is NOT a nation of white English speakers, NO you can't force immigrants to speak English. When you really get down to it, what you SHOULD be complaining about is how white people refuse to use the Native American languages, since this person is so against immigrants. 

on Mar. 10 2014 at 10:30 pm
You agree ? Well, to be honest I am very glad. We all have our opinions and I do agree with you. Does it not seem odd for people to go to germany and not talk germen ? Possibly go to France with out knowing French? Spain with kmowing Spanish? Seems to me you could visit these places with out knowing the language. Am i correct, possibly ? Although you know the difference between many nations and America ? America was found by IMIGRANTS. People all over the world came to make there life better. To have a chance to be treated equal. The people i do feel sorry is the native americans we took over there land. Made them talk English. Now like you and me and 99.9999 Americans are imigrants. We all have a different cultrue differnt traditions. But at the end were humman. At the end its good we know more languages and culture about other people. Its were we come from. our parents gave us the american life style. Enough to eat every day. But what would happen if you were starving. Knowing your mom works day and night and still noo food no nothing you would try to get out of the country and find some where safe and where you can be appected. Wouldnt you ? To make sure your kinds had a better future. Our grand paretns. great grand paretns great great grandparernts went thew some hard life style for you to have the life you have now. Just know there so many people that have a hard life and come to americs for a chance for a better life. we all might to speek english. Bur know were in america and you know  its a blessing

Batmar BRONZE said...
on Jan. 31 2014 at 2:37 pm
Batmar BRONZE, Burlington, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Danger is real but, fear is choice"

I agree but I dont really agree. they should be allowed to come over here but yes, they should know our home language. 

on Jan. 6 2014 at 5:59 pm
Ms.Alice BRONZE, Barrie, Other
1 article 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Resistance- because if we fight we might lose; but if we don't fight we've already lost.

You do realise that English isn't even Americas official language? Also most of the people living in America are moving there because the conditions in their own country aren't livable? Not to mention that English is one of the hardest languages to learn, and most of these people are having to learn in from scratch, it isn't as simple as just going to take a class. Plus America is made mostly of imigrants, but you know "learn the language or go home" right?

on Jan. 6 2014 at 5:55 pm
Ms.Alice BRONZE, Barrie, Other
1 article 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Resistance- because if we fight we might lose; but if we don't fight we've already lost.

Not to mention that America is largely made of imigrants.