Ignoring responsibility | Teen Ink

Ignoring responsibility

May 12, 2010
By Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut
Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut
47 articles 0 photos 82 comments

Favorite Quote:
A wise word does not make the speaker wise.


Why is it that we complain about things to our friends and family about things and yet we refuse to step up to patriotic responsibility to act reasonably and with dignity on the issues that concern us? We blame our politicians and our representatives, expecting them to solve all of our problems and yet we do nothing. What is worse it when they do come up with any solution, all we can do is criticize them and degrade their decision. When ever someone complains about a politician I am the first one to ask, “So, how would you have done it?” and am appalled to find that most answer with a babble of useless sentence fragments, defensively trying to save their accusatory argument. People blame the CEO when a company goes down, and yet they never do anything of their own to save the company. I here the people who criticize the owner of a tobacco company, and yet they do not accuse the daily worker of contributing to the companies immoral act. Does the saying “To march in the army is to fight the war” mean nothing to people? Why is it that a leader can take the responsibility for all of their followers actions and yet those same followers can’t even take responsibility for their own actions, doesn’t that seem a bit hypocritical? As the citizen of a democracy, we all have a responsibility to contribute to the betterment of our country in a constructive and positive manner, not only through electing the correct leaders, and supporting the right causes, but also through acting on the things that bother us of our own accord. Laziness is not an excuse for our ignorance, or our unwillingness to act. Remember the famous saying, “Never think that a small group of dedicated citizens can not change the world, for they are the only thing that ever has.”