Woman's Equality | Teen Ink

Woman's Equality

By MarthaLouise SILVER, England, Other
MarthaLouise SILVER, England, Other

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

Drop, drop, drop. Droplets of blood plunged from Susan’s cheek to the floor.

“Men are stronger”, says general ignorance. Not only is this statement wrong, but it is stereotypical. I am here today to draw attention to a sickening issue - discrimination against women.
This generation; our generation needs to change, and take responsibility for respecting others around us, whatever gender they are. For humanity to be able to continue in harmony with each other we need to evolve. Humankind is evolving all the time, so why not evolve for the equality of women. Evolve for women, evolve for humanity.
There have been many great women in our world: Mother Teresa, Joan of Ark and Eleanor Roosevelt naming just a few - and yet so many women are being treated without respect, and their rights are being undermined. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that “Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status” which means the Declaration is for everybody - not just men, and not just women; so why, in this day and age; the 21st Century do we have abused and let down women, suffering day in day out for freedom, comfort, of simply shelter? Evolve for women, evolve for humanity.
So, “Men are stronger” - What about Cao Lei; a 3 time gold medalist in the Olympics for weightlifting, and Kelly Holmes - a retired middle distance runner who on numerous occasions won the gold medal in either the Commonwealth games or the Olympics. And what about our grandmothers, mothers, aunties and sisters, battling with the devastating and agonizing effects of things like cancer. Strength is in the mind - not just the body. The human race was born with a man and a woman. Both were equal; so how so was this begun? Evolve for women, evolve for humanity.
Yes, we have Usain Bolt - the world record holder for 100m and 200m sprint, and many more great men; but none superior to women, and yet none inferior. Humankind is equal. We have over the years evolved; let it happen again to suit everybody in our world. No man is an island - so why should a woman be? Evolve for women, evolve for humanity.

Drop, drop, drop. More droplets of blood plunged from where Susan lay on the floor, unconscious. Waiting for Susan when she got home wasn’t a loving husband, but a fist; which was pounded into her face. Evolve for Susan, evolve for women, evolve for humanity, and evolve for your future.

A speech that I did for my class