Euthanasia | Teen Ink

Euthanasia

By BrookeSchueneman PLATINUM, Elko, Minnesota
BrookeSchueneman PLATINUM, Elko, Minnesota

My baby, my pretty girl, my good dog. Her name is Shelley and she's eleven years old. She has bad arthritis and something is wrong with her ears, making them swell up like balloons. She has to wear a cone as to prevenet herself from biting all of the fur on her back end off, and she poops everywhere. When we walk down the street, people glare at me - really glare. Because they think that I'm either beating her, or that I'm just causing her more pain than is necessary. The thing is, I don't know how much pain she's in. I'll never know, because she's so strong. She is, despite what others think, happy. When we take her to our cabin, she chases chipmunks and goes into the water and smiles and has a good time. Everyone is pressuring us to get her euthanized. I was starting to believe them, but now I'm not so sure. I'm very torn here. One, because I love her so much and I don't want to let her go. Two, because everyone wants us to and it's pissing me off. Three, because she still has life in her, and I don't know if she wants to die. Four, because I never know what would happen the next day if we hadn't euthanized her. She isn't just like a member of the family, she is a member of the family. She's my baby, and my sister. She's everything to me. It'd be the same thing as killing my actual sister to me. The same as killing my dad, or my mom, or my brother, or even my baby niece. If it's illegal for me to euthanize any of those people, then I think it should be illegal to euthanize pets. Or vice versa, making it legal to euthanize humans. You know, it's all very hard on me because I've had this dog my whole life, and I don'twant to let her go. In the old days, they'd just take her out to the barn and shoot her. That's like murder to me, but maybe that's only because Shelley and I are so close. My old German Shepherd still has life in her. Who am I to take it away? But I'm not old enough to make that decision. That's up to my parents and what they feel is right. I just don't know how I could stand by and let them, for lack of a better expression, kill her.
In my point of view, Euthanasia should either be legal for all forms of life, or illegal for all forms of life. There is no in-between.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I loved reading this article; it was very well worded. I find myself torn on the issue. On one hand, death will save them pain. And I don't believe that death is a terrible thing.

On the other hand, they have no choice in the matter, and it is their life that is being considered. Your point was a good one that they don't euthanize people, no matter their pain.

I think, in the end, the question comes down to death or more pain. I don't know which is better, but I wish your dog the best!

K9_Typical_Islander SILVER, Koror, Other

Hours of boredom followed by moments of excitement (and adrenaline)- that's fishing

You made your point clear as sun in the last sentences. Very strong in perspective and this piece stirs emotions. I feel for you and your companion.

I guess Euthanesia is like "Mercy killing/death". But the underlining idea is simply death, by choice or control, in just a different term to lessen its rawness.

CSHCSH GOLD said...
on Jun. 30 2010 at 2:52 am
CSHCSH GOLD, Jakarta, Other

Everybody tries to change the world, but nobody tries to change themselves
-Leo Tolstoy

euthanasia is known as 'good death'. i know this is still a controversy but i guess sometimes they are too much in pain they just want to go happily. i guess this is why they say you let go if you love someone. but i dont suggest euthanasia for your dog because i think he is still happy.

mwahxandxmwa SILVER, Melbourne, Other

"Silence is golden...duct tape is silver" - a random T-shirt

I can see this from your perspective because im so close to my dog too. I also see the pressure from society to have animals euthanised. I hate this idea because society will never have the same bond as you and your pet.

Well worded..:D