Designer Children Are Unethical | Teen Ink

Designer Children Are Unethical

By bdallas SILVER, Franklin, Virginia
bdallas SILVER, Franklin, Virginia

A fertility clinic has promised that parents can create their own "designer" babies, letting them choose eye, hair color, maybe even skin color, and more! This has already created an outrage from many different ethics groups, and I am one more person adding to this uproar. There is already a way to choose what gender we want our babies to be, now we are able to create our own designer babies!! Its appalling! Parents who should take this option should be ashamed of themselves! This obsessive search for the perfect child is one that is completely unethical! I can understand using this new technology to "weed-out" problem embryos, who doesn't want to give their child the best opportunity at living a normal healthy life? I was diagnosed with Marfan's syndrome, Ehler's Danlos syndrome, and Gilbert's syndrome, and I would give anything that this technology existed when I was born, to give me a chance at the life I couldn't have. But, alas, it was not so but I have learn to come to terms with this and I like being me for being me. But, to think, parents have a chance to eliminate some of these most debilitating or life-threatening diseases before a baby is even conceived?? I can justify parents using this technology so that their kids will remain healthy and live normal life-spans, but I can not justify it to be used to make their kids exactly whatever their whims might be!! Parents give their children unconditional love and support, no matter what they look like, because they love them for being who they are. But, what if that this love and support did not exist anymore?? Think about it, parents would have their kids exactly how they want them, to every specification they dictate, but they ultimately won't be happy. You may be asking yourselves right now, "If the kids are exactly how they wanted, why wouldn't they be happy?" Well they wouldn't be happy because they are exactly how they wanted. Their kids would have no personality, no little quirks that define them as their own, one-of-a-kind, unique human being. Everyone would have kids looking almost identical, blond hair, blue eyes, slender and intelligent, but there would be no more diversity left in our population! Also what they don't tell you, is that in the process of creating a perfect embryo, a there could be as many as seven or eight created to see what is the best match. Then, do you want to know what they do with the undesirable ones?? They destroy them, wipe-out the beginning of their existence on this planet. While there may only be one or two clinics in the world offering this procedure, just think about when its commonplace and everyone can afford it. What then you may ask? There would be no diversity, everyone would look the same, everyone would have the same goals in life because it was already pre-determine for them! Lets just say for that every 1,000 babies that are created using this technology, another 6,000-7,000 of them are killed because they are deemed "undesirable." If this doesn't get your blood boiling, or if you still are seriously considering having this done to your children, then that's your problem. But hey, these are just the rants of a 16 year old boy, but you have to be crazy to think that there isn't something a little unethical about this.

I originally wrote this as an article for my blog I started awhile ago, but I decided to try and publish it hear so others can learn more about this pressing matter.

bdallas SILVER said...
bdallas SILVER, Franklin, Virginia
Good argument, but the 2nd portion of your comment is inaccurate. If you were raped, chances are you would already be impregnated. This technology works by harvesting the eggs and semen from the parents, and doing multiple fertilizations until the result is achieved. If you were raped, you would not be able to do so since the egg is already fertilized. And no matter what you do, the baby would somewhat resemble the rapist, 50% of DNA comes the mother and the other 50% is from the father.

Emmasmommy4610 SILVER, Ocean Shores, Washington

"If you don't hit the ground hard, you'll never know what its like to get up and learn to fly."

I disagree with the diversity. I wanted a dark haired, dark eyed, and olive skinned baby and that's what I got. I think blonde hair and blue eyes is over-rated, and so do many other people. Blacks want blacks, asians want asians, etc. The world would be plenty diverse enough. I do agree that parents shouldn't care what their child look likes, however it's not like just anyone would have access to this technology. Maybe a rape case victim doesn't want her baby to look like her predator...so, she has the procedures done to prevent that. You have to look at all posibilties.