To Pray or Not to Pray | Teen Ink

To Pray or Not to Pray

By NonsensicalMuse PLATINUM, San Anotnio, Texas
NonsensicalMuse PLATINUM, San Anotnio, Texas

"There is nothing wrong with having your head in the clouds as long as you don't get altitude sickness"

"Perhaps you are right,perhaps not. I don't know 110% either way.All I know is that Im in search of truth. If you are too, let us be friends."

Prayer in school is a very controversial issue at the moment.Both sides are calling attention to themselves and trying to rally support so a law will be passed to settle the the matter.As in all debates there are two sides,those who are for it and those who are against it. Those who are for it say that prayer in school is a form of religious expression and if you won’t allow it than you are violating our right to freedom of expression ,they believe that banning prayers is equal to being non-religious. According to those in favor of prayers in school we should consider the feelings of certain denominations that view prayers as an essential element of the school routine. For them, it seems quite irreligious not to recite a prayer everyday, especially at the start of your school day.On the other side of the coin is the view that if it were truly religious expression it should entail all religions and it is further argued that no formal school prayer could honor the tenets of all the religions practiced in the U.S. and prayer is better left in the home and religious institution of the individuals choice.Furthermore they argue that public school is intended for education only, not for religious observance.It is argued on the other side that if a student doesn’t feel it is in line with their personal beliefs they can leave the classroom and they don’t have to participate,however the other side argues that this is a form of disregarding someones religion simply because it is not in line with everyone else and is a form of religious intolerance.Those in support of it also argue that prayer in school would increase morality and would help fight issues such as school shootings,drug usage ,underage drinking and teen pregnancy.The opposing view says that prayer in school would have no effect and is completely irrelevant to those issues, that they are a larger issues involving society and parenting habits that cause these problems,not religion or lack there of in school. It is further argued that prayer in school is already legal. A student can pray whenever they want in school as long as they don’t do it in a way that is disruptive or disrespectful to anyone else,so a formal school prayer is unnecessary.It is even stated in the bible that public prayer in unnecessary and that prayer is something to be done in private "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you (Matthew 6:5-6).
Can’t argue that.

rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia

"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney

Nicely worded. I feel public prayer is okay- I don't try to make a scene out of it; in fact, when it's in public, I don't even close my eyes. Basically, I just say one mentally. However, we do have freedom of religion, and I hate how teachers can't say "Merry Christmas"...but someone else can say "Happy Ramadan"? That's not just. That's very unjust! The U.S is a melting pot of culture, religion. Therefore, everyone should be able to express his/her religion view.