Why Learning a Foreign Language is Essential in Today’s World | Teen Ink

Why Learning a Foreign Language is Essential in Today’s World

By PinkNinjaHater SILVER, China, Chengdu, Other
PinkNinjaHater SILVER, China, Chengdu, Other

Everybody has photographic memory, just not everybody had film.

Have you ever heard someone say that they can speak English and that is enough, because after all most people speak English? Well, to tell you the truth they would be wrong. There are a number of reasons why you should learn a foreign language. In our world today, only one fifth of the population speaks English. So, learning another language is important for both work and travel. It is also important for making real connections with people, and lastly it can give you a greater understanding of your own language.
China, for example, is the most populous country in the world. It continues to grow in importance both economically and politically. Learning a language like Chinese would definitely enhance your chances of getting a job, and not just in Asia. Chinese is a language that is spoken all over the world. Almost every country in the world has a Chinatown, from the United States, to Canada, Australia, London, and much of Europe. Throughout Asia – in Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia – people speak Chinese.

If you are traveling or work in a foreign country such as China then you could survive with only speaking English. However, think how much easier everything would be if you could speak the local language. It would simply be easier to do anything and everything. It would be easier to find different places, ask for directions, and even order food. If you work in China, it will benefit you immensely if you can speak Chinese because then you would be able to work with all different types of employees not just the ones that speak English, and this will give long-term career success.

Another reason why you should learn a foreign language is that it shows the locals that you are interested in their country and they will appreciate this and immediately like you more. Understanding the local language will also help you to create new relationships with the locals, and find new friends there besides the ones that speak your language. Speaking a language gives you understanding of a country’s culture, it enables you to see how other people see the world around them.
Finally, although it is difficult to grasp at first, but the truth is that if you speak a foreign language you will actually improve and your own first language better. Once you have learned a different language, you would have something to compare to, this way you would better understand prepositions, and all other parts of speech that we normally take for granted. Other languages open our minds to new ways of thinking. For example, Eskimos have more words to describe snow and ice as it is such an important part of their lives. The Greeks have many different words to describe love – love between a parent and child, love between brothers and sisters, love between friends. The Indians have different words for uncle and aunt that let you know exactly how that person is related to you. There is a reason why most writers and poets are students of many languages. People have compared learning a language to learning a new way to think or to sing.

While some people learn a different language because of a practical need, many others learn a language because of interest or because they want a challenge. Yes, some languages can be extremely hard to learn, but once they are learned they benefit you greatly. Language is what makes us human. It is how we share our thoughts with the world. A world without language is unthinkable, without it there would be no way to communicate and express ourselves. The more languages you know, the more ways you have to communicate and express yourself. This is why learning many languages should be important, and why one language simply won’t do.

Alfon said...
its a very very very estupenda redaccion about la importancia de know foreing lenguas