Racial Harrasment | Teen Ink

Racial Harrasment

By Mr.Famtastic BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Mr.Famtastic BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"IT'S OVER 9000!!!!"-Vegeta

Racism.

It’s been gone from this country for around 50 years now.

Our government banned it from schools, work, public areas, essentially the Supreme Court banned it completely from american soil.
Feels great to live without racism right?
Feels good?
Feels free?

Of course it would. Why wouldn’t it feel good to live with no racist people. With the government backing this up, everyone should live happily ever after with no worries about any racists messing up your day. All of these things should be things of the past.
But is racism completely gone? Is discrimination nothing more than a side thought?
No.
It isn’t.
It’s still here, and it’s still a big problem.
Racism will always be here and always will be, if you like it or not. It’ll take years before it starts to fade away.
And it isn’t just in the U.S. , racism is everywhere.
In January 2009, a young 14 year old girl had continued to receive racial harassment by a 15 year old boy for six months. This boy had been telling her to ”Go back to your own country” or that “You don’t belong here” and also called her some nasty words, with all of them having something to do with her being African American. This lead to the girl feeling distraught for six months until one day,before school, the girl swallowed a combination of diazepam, pethidine, co-codomol and paracetamol pills. On the same day, the girl's mom found suicide notes stuffed under her mattress talking about how she no longer could cope with these bullies and decided to take her own life. She was rushed to the hospital, and received psychiatric treatment for two months.
The girl is fine. Her hearts still beating and she’s still breathing. But others? Not so much. racial harassment is a serious thing. Take it seriously.
Do you want to know how many people take their own life due to discrimination and racial bullying?
Every year per every population of 100,000 people 1,369.2 black males and 895.6 white males commit suicide due to racism and discrimination and that’s only two of many races. And just because these people took their own life doesn’t mean that they are the only ones who get racially harassed. 20% out of a population of 100000 are affected by racism. You can do the math. That’s a lot of people.
You would think that racism should be decreasing at a very fast pace but racial bullying still is very real. People racially bully others sometimes for no good reason and keep on pressing until that person is emotionally depressed. This is horrible but to extinguish this type of harassment, you have to get to the root of the problem. Some experts across the country suggest parents influence their children’s view on racism and how to react to it. Professor Gary Bailey, of Simmons College School of Social Work in Boston, said families and communities are the first point of entry into how people see or experience much of the world, which can foster the first beliefs on racism. This is very true, the parent can influence the kid to, from a young age, understand racism, how to stop it, and how to prevent it. Without a parent's guide a kid can be geared to being unpredictable. Parent’s are essential to this big mess.
Because, most bullies sprout out of family problems.
This type of verbal bullying can put people to the brink, not knowing how much they value their life anymore. People die because of this. Just because you think all of this is over doesn’t mean it is. There are still extreme cases of racism happening in the U.S.
I know it hurts. Being teased about something you can't control. Being the minority in the group. I know.
I had my fair share as well.
When I was in a summer camp, I got into an argument with this kid who kept cheating in every single game that we played. We’ve been arguing for a long time and when others started agreeing with me he call me a chink.
He called me a chink and once he saw I didn’t like it, he called me that for the whole time I was there. And the worst part is.
There was no way I could defend myself.
Because I was the minority.
It was a desperate move.
But it hurt none the less.
I won’t explain what happened next but I’ll give advice and encouragement to the people who are also stuck in these moments.
If you’re in an argument with someone else and they pull out a racist comment, don’t think much about it.
It’s a desperate move.
But, don’t let it hurt you.
They will use that as their “final stand”, and I’ve seen many trying to win an argument by saying something racist even though it isn’t right. Don’t let that take you down, you’re stronger than that.
If at school, kids pick on you for your race. Don’t let that take you down. Those kids who bully you might seem tough, but really most of them are the opposite. It isn’t right for them to take their anger out on you, but just know ,they aren’t as scary as you think.
If It’s so bad that you’re pointing toward suicide. Don’t do it. No matter what you think, someone will miss you.
Take a stand. If we want to rid racism from this world, you can’t let it take you down with it. I know discrimination is harsh, and racists are unfair but together we can change these ideas. Now, I know this sounds far fetched like something that came straight out of a novel, but it’s true. By being the ones who know that racism is wrong, you can influence future generations to stop racism.

It’s unfair.
People suicide everyday because of racial bullying and how are we going to stop that?
Well, there is a way to start right now and it’s with you.

Stop Racism.