GMOs - What is in Your Food is Not Always What You Think | Teen Ink

GMOs - What is in Your Food is Not Always What You Think

February 28, 2014
By YAYYY BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
YAYYY BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

GMOs – What is in Your Food is Not Always What You Think


Reading the ingredient labels on food packages can be confusing for consumers due to the ingredients that they are not familiar with. These ingredients may be common, but that does not necessarily make them completely safe for consumption. Many of these ingredients contain GMOs, or Genetically Modified Organisms. GMOs are plants and animals that have had their genetic material combined or changed in a way that cannot occur in nature or natural crossbreeding to create a desired trait. Although these traits may come with certain benefits, they should be carefully tested before being released to the public and labeled so consumers know what is in the food they eat. In order to avoid any risks, consumers should eat as organic and non-GMO as possible.

In order to begin regulating GMOs, the government officials should require GMO foods to be labeled as genetically modified. The government does not require labeling of GMO foods and allows these foods to remain on the market, and many consumers do not realize that their foods are genetically modified. These products may have been modified to contain pesticides within the plants or resist herbicides and diseases to ensure that the crop is not damaged (C). GMO products may also have a gene that results in a larger production or a faster growth so the farmers can sell more crops in the same amount of time. Both of these types of genetic modification lead to a larger profit on the market and more economical growth. If the government requires the labeling of GMOs, the consumer purchases will go down and the economy will not be as successful, so the government does not legally insist on GMO labeling to ensure the success of the GMOs (B). The problem with this is that the consumers may not know what they are eating. If the GMOs are labeled, the consumers will be fully aware that their food is genetically modified.

Another problem with GMO foods is that genetically modified organisms have the potential to unbalance the natural ecosystem (B). The genetic modifications made to GMOs cannot occur in nature and are tested in a laboratory. These GMOs could plant themselves and their genetically modified genes into the natural soil, and consequently change the environment. Insects and bacterial that are beneficial to the environment could be killed by the unnatural GMO plants. These GMOs may also contaminate the not genetically modified plants. The process of cross-pollination would carry the pollen with GMO genes from the genetically engineered plants to the plants that are non-GMO and cause the offspring to be contaminated. Weeds may catch some of the GMO pollen and become resistant to the same herbicides the GMO plant is resistant to, causing “super-weeds” to arise and unbalance the ecosystem. Genetically modified fish are also kept in oceans near not genetically modified fish and could cross-breed with the natural fish to create more GMO fish and unbalance the ocean’s natural environment. Even if the GMOs are kept in a separate area, the chance of cross-pollination is still present and can still affect the non-GMO plants. Non-GMO plants could eventually be wiped out due to the natural breeding of GMO and non-GMO plants. Many research centers and laboratories do not put forth much effort in keeping the wildlife out of the GMO sites, causing the animals to unknowingly consume the genetically engineered plants (C). This puts the animals in danger of the risks of GMOs. This would throw the delicate environment out of balance.

Adding to the environmental risks, the scientists that created GMOs have not done extensive testing of their products to avoid the negative effects, so the consumers are at risk when they consume the GMO foods. Although some say that allergens can be erased through genetic modification, new allergens can form from GMOs due to the genes that may have been put into the foods (A). If the person has a shellfish allergy, and a shellfish gene is placed into GMO corn, that person is at risk for a reaction to the GMO corn. GMOs may be altered for a better taste or longer store life, but the health risks are not proven to be inexistent. Some say that GMOs could fix the issue of world hunger, however, GMOs may also carry risks of cancer or other diseases because it is unnatural for certain genes to be placed together. The companies creating GMOs have poor records and research of the dangers for human and animal consumption. GMO toxins have been found to have already killed thirty-seven people and negatively affect seven thousand others. If the scientists had ensured that the GMOs were completely risk-free, the people would not have suffered and others would not be at risk. Animals are also fed GMO foods, creating a hidden source of genetically engineered foods (C). Scientists should ensure the safety of GMOs before releasing them to the public so they are safe to eat. There will be no risks if these foods are tested and tested again for health issues, and are still proven safe to eat.

In order to avoid GMO foods, consumers should purchase products that are labeled both “GMO free” and “organic” to increase the chance of having a healthy diet (D). Organic foods do not necessarily require GMO testing. The most common GMO foods are alfalfa, canola, corn, cotton, papaya, soy, sugar beets, zucchini, and yellow squash. Any foods containing these ingredients are very likely to contain GMOs. Table beets, rutabaga, Siberian kale, Chinese cabbage, turnips, acorn squash, flax, rice, and wheat are monitored for GMOs. Consumers should avoid these foods to avoid GMOs. Many cereals, snack bars and boxes, cookies, processed lunch meats, and crackers contain GMOs. Over eighty percent of American foods contain GMOs, so avoiding them is becoming harder. Many common ingredients such as sweeteners, artificial and natural flavoring, and preservatives are also derived from GMOs. Tomatoes, potatoes, salmon, and pigs have been genetically engineered in the past, but the GMOs for these foods have been taken off the market due to customer request. Ingredients with a “GMO free” and an “organic” label are likely to be safe, but not all foods labeled “GMO free” or “organic” are tested to be GMO free. In order to avoid GMOs, consumers should avoid any GMO foods and any foods containing GMO ingredients.

GMO foods may cause damage to humans, animals, and the environment. These organisms should be carefully tested and before being released to the public and the government should not keep denying the risks and require labeling so the consumers know that they are eating GMOs, even though the GMO market may not be as successful. Even though GMOs have certain benefits, the risks are unknown. Consumers should eat as organic as possible to maintain a healthy diet that does not carry GMO risks.