Compassion | Teen Ink

Compassion

By CompEet3 PLATINUM, Cincinnati, Ohio
CompEet3 PLATINUM, Cincinnati, Ohio

What is compassion? The definition says "sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others." We throw it around and tell others to be compassionate ad have sympathy. Compassion in itself is really feeling sorry for another person. We were told to suffer, that in our suffering we would find peace and our true, human self. WE were told that our misfortune was a test of how strong we were. So why is it we feel compassion for others when we are suppose to go through this and not complain.

You know why we feel compassion in this fixed up world. It is from a preconceived idea of Justice. If others have no reason to suffer unless another person has caused it, we want justice for that person. If we don't have that preconceived justice inside us, how are we suppose to show compassion. When my dad was put onto hospice, and passed away a few days later, his nurse that came out the second time to call his time of death, she could not show compassion. I personally think it is screwed when people believe passion and compassion are the same. You can have learn to have passion, but you cannot learn compassion. His nurse couldn't show sympathy for our loss. She looked straight into my red and teary eyes walking past me and could not show me that she knew what I was feeling. She could not register that half of me just died and is never coming back. She wanted to do her paperwork and leave. She didn't convey to my family that he was a person who breathed and had a family he was leaving behind. He was just another body she had to clear before the morticians could cart him away and she could go home.

People like that should not work in this field. Even the people who worked at his grave side service showed compassion. The one female even cried a bit. You don't have to cry to show compassion, though many of us do. You telepathically have that thought and look on your face that lets another person know, "even though I may not have lost a person this close to me, or have experienced a death, I know the pain and suffering you are going through." That right there is compassion.