The Teenage Mind | Teen Ink

The Teenage Mind

By Grant Anderson BRONZE, Hemet, California
Grant Anderson BRONZE, Hemet, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Wanna hear a joke? High school.”
High school is way over-rated.  As students, we stay up late every night doing homework, studying for tests, and stressing over our grades daily.  Our teachers think that we have hours of time so they feel they can fill it with boring assignments.  We are expected to learn brand new material all the time and score 90% on a pop quiz the next day.  We have sports or clubs after school that consume our precious time and make us even more sleep deprived.  There’s also the struggle to fit in and be liked by our peers.  We are constantly being judged for our appearance, our personality, and our interests.  Some of us use fake personalities to make friends or be one of the popular kids. 

“Let’s Talk”
Our lives are ruled by our parents.  Most of the time they’re tolerable; but other times they are unbearable.  They do so much for us that we take for granted every day.  It’s just that they have such high standards or expectations for us that we can never satisfy them.  The worst thing that can happen is a pow wow with them about every little fault we have.  Bad grades, getting mad, being lazy, or having bad habits.  No one wants the lecture that makes them feel mad, frustrated, ashamed, inadequate, and depressed.  These “talks” often are for our own good, but they are so unwanted that we don’t receive the council very well

Internal Thoughts
Our age group has lots of things on our minds. Every one of us has gone or will go through some stage of depression.  This is caused by rejection, loneliness, jealousy, failure, guilt, and lots of other things.  We think, “Why should I even keep trying”, “I’m worthless and don’t matter” “I’m done with everything”.  We isolate ourselves and focus only on the negative things in life.  We’re thinking about all the bad things we’ve done or anything that didn’t meet our perfect ideas.  We day dream all the time about random things that make us zone out and lose focus. We feel like we always have the best opinion and there’s no reason to disagree.  Teenagers have a pretty busy life with plenty of thoughts that occupy their minds.

Only half of this actually relates to me, but I added what I thought other people felt like.  I want people to know that they aren't the only people in their situation.