Learn Our Language | Teen Ink

Learn Our Language

December 30, 2008
By Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
Dsmit BRONZE, Luna Pier, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"God hath not given me a spirit of fear, but that of power, love, and of a sound mind."


This is a headline story right here! It has to be one of the top issues in the country today. I am referring to the "Press two for Spanish" issue. Why is this even an option? If someone wants to become an American badly enough, they should take the initiative to learn the language that is spoken here: English. I mean, does the government not know that by allowing a language barrier to exist inside our country, they are potenially limiting the progression of the country. There should not be a need for any type of translator in our country. How can we be called the top country in the world if the citizens within it are not able to communicate freely? "Press two for Spanish" is also one of the most annoying statements that can be uttered over the phone. Spanish is not the only problem either. It is all the gibberish and nonsense that has to be endured before actually having the opportunity to speak to a customer service officer or telephone operator. I believe that Americans need to keep it simple. Diversity is grand, but when it pertains to the language, there is a problem. I have a simple solution that will unify our country and tear down the language barrier: Learn our language or go home!


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 201 comments.


on Mar. 30 2011 at 5:07 pm
EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas
1 article 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you've lost it all.......That's when you finally realize.....That life is BEAUTIFUL

Hm...I disagree...first of all, yes, English is one of the most difficult languages to learn...

Not to mention that I find other languages, such as Italian and Japanese to be interesting....beautiful even....


Nivnek BRONZE said...
on Mar. 24 2011 at 9:29 pm
Nivnek BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

This. Is. Terrible. You make it sound like people that come here DON'T want to learn English. The truth is, they do. But English isn't easy to learn; English is developing new slang everyday and it has the most words in it. My English class discussed the English language once and discovered it has about 10x as many words as Chinese, which has a large variety of words as is.

Also, learning English comes with risks(surprisingly). Learning English can make your native language fade. Why? Because everyday you are surrounded by English. Being surrounded by English will slowly envelop your mind and cover up your native language. I know because my native language is fading a little bit every day, and if it wasen't for my dad making me speak my native language at home, I would have lost my native language by now.

My dad came here from Vietnam about 20 years ago and ever since, he has been trying to learn English everyday, but even now, he only knows about 1/10 of the words/language I do.

So don't tell everyone to learn English so freely, it's not as simple as you think it is.


Dreamboat said...
on Mar. 21 2011 at 10:12 pm
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin
0 articles 0 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

Is this not the land of oppertunity, don't  people from all over the world come to america to be part of something better? Why should immigrants have to learn our language if we are welcoming them with open arms. If you really dont want to have trouble communicating you should learn how to speak another language like Spanish, french or Manduran, two of which are taught in most public schools. Por favor aprendes una orta idioma. 

Dreamcandle said...
on Mar. 3 2011 at 8:29 pm
Dreamcandle, Randolph, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I want a life that's mine."
- Sayuri

I just want to add something here:  The United States of America does not have an official language. "Taking an initiative?"  - There are many people in my school who struggle to learn English.  Yet, they are American.  Just as much as you, presumably, and me. Therefore, they can't "go home".  They are already home. They are equally intelligent - I know that for a fact.  They are trying extremely hard to learn English, which by the way happens to be one of the hardest languages in the world.  Much harder than French or Spanish.  ESL classes are not for fun where it's "yippee i don't have to learn English now!!"  The whole point of them is to get of ESL to join regular classes, and thus they do teach English.  I know quite a few students who have gotten out.  In the some parts of the world, they try to use English in addition to their native languages.  But English is not the universal language by far.  Which countries have the largest population?  China and India.  When I went to Israel, they had signs in three different languages - yet their official language is Hebrew.  Why do we complain when, as stated, we dont even have an official language.  If you want a universal language, you have to play fair.  Learn Esperanto if that's your goal. 

 

 

 


on Feb. 21 2011 at 8:04 pm
Look_to_the_stars BRONZE, Kentwood, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 24 comments
I totally agree with you, you could have said it nicer but it's common courtesey to us, if you come here legally then we protect you and we pay for you to learn our language which we shouldn't have to, (I'm not saying that it's totally unokay to come to america illegally becuase its a grey are)

on Feb. 21 2011 at 5:19 pm
Hawthorn BRONZE, Nowheresville, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 55 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Know Thy Enemy" Sun Tzu

I went to germany but didn't want to learn german. Then again it was only for six months and I didn't really have a choice.

on Feb. 20 2011 at 11:59 am
schoolgal BRONZE, Killeen, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Really.......why would you do that?

I think just learning 1 language is wrong. We should be able to speak whatever language we want. I think learning different types of langauges in America is not only good, but it helps us understand there culture a little better.

on Feb. 3 2011 at 11:24 am
JohnnyTheSilverAngel GOLD, Los Angeles, California
14 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.” By W.W

"If God gave you the will to start something,You have to have the courage to finish it." by J.V

Amen for saying that dude.

on Feb. 3 2011 at 11:22 am
JohnnyTheSilverAngel GOLD, Los Angeles, California
14 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.” By W.W

"If God gave you the will to start something,You have to have the courage to finish it." by J.V

Oh yeah one more thing,in the business the world,if you know how to speak other languages,then your morel likely to get hired.Just throwing that out there too.

on Feb. 3 2011 at 11:17 am
JohnnyTheSilverAngel GOLD, Los Angeles, California
14 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.” By W.W

"If God gave you the will to start something,You have to have the courage to finish it." by J.V

Okay first of all,you could have said this in a nicer tone.I mean,your saying like people who don't know English are a problem...which they aren't.Also,the "Press 2 for Spanish",I mean,come on now,just press 1 and get over it!it's not like 2 is the only option you have here.Also,I'm bilingual.I know both Spanish and English.I learned English the hard way by reading and speaking.It is hard.Also,not talking English isn't going to stop America from rising.We the people who know English are the ones that can either make America go forward or back.So please stop blaming them for not knowing.My parents don't know English but they still try to understand.The last sentence was a bit offensive too but that's my opinion.Take it or go home.

on Jan. 10 2011 at 8:19 pm
xTheKillerDollx SILVER, Wood Dale, Illinois
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Tiffany: Well i'm not getting pregnant again. My mother always said once is a blessing, twice is a curse.
Chucky: Well that would explain your sister...
-Seed of Chucky-

lol i so agree. so your not the only one who likes this lol

on Jan. 10 2011 at 8:18 pm
xTheKillerDollx SILVER, Wood Dale, Illinois
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
Tiffany: Well i'm not getting pregnant again. My mother always said once is a blessing, twice is a curse.
Chucky: Well that would explain your sister...
-Seed of Chucky-

omg THANK YOU!

at my school we have used half our money to help kids who only know spanish get more help from spanish teachers, not to help them in engilish, but TEACH THEM IN SPANISH! and at my school there allowed to just speak spanish. and i researched that btw. but i am so with you learn our language or go home! i agree its a touchy subject but i am SO fed up with all the people who come to AMERICA and dont and wont learn ENGLISH! It really makes me so p.oed so yeah.


on Jan. 8 2011 at 2:42 pm
Freedom_Cow BRONZE, Manhattan, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians." -- Paul McCartney
"I beseech thee to keep pure your highest ideals, strive ever towards them, let none stop ye or turn ye aside." -- The Charge of the Goddess

This is a touchy subject, I do have to say. There are many ways to go about living in a multi-lingual world. One of the ways is to stay seated in the English language, or branch out. I encourage the learning of different languages. 

 

Yes, having a language barrier is a difficult thing to have to live though. Maintaining it weakens the structure of society. (Telling non-English speaking immigrants to learn our language in English might not work as well).

Instead of telling other people to change, be the agent of change. The message become stronger if you yourself also take steps towards becoming multi-lingual.

 

I wish you the best of luck!

Freedom_Cow


on Dec. 24 2010 at 6:44 am
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire
73 articles 58 photos 349 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Thank you! Someone else agrees!

on Dec. 24 2010 at 6:40 am
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire
73 articles 58 photos 349 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

Am I only person who agrees with this article? I have to say to the author of this article that, although I agree with you, this could have been written in a nicer tone. I am sympathetic to people who try to learn English. It is hard, but not impossible. You can still speak your own language. All languages are good. This article is not saying that English is a superior language; it is just the language we speak here in America! Telling immigrants to learn English is not taking away their rights; it is just them adapting to their new home. It is fine if you want to speak your native language; that's great. But do not be offended when you want to order something over the phone and cannot understand English. That is YOUR problem.

on Dec. 24 2010 at 6:33 am
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire
73 articles 58 photos 349 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

I feel like this is an article that lots of people will hate, and they have a right to. But I like it this!!! I agree that it is annoying when people think they can live here and never learn English. I understand you are not going to take five years of English class before immigrating here, but do not expect us to cater to your foreign language. I am going to Italy in a few months, and I am watching tons of Italian-learning videos on YouTube. I don't want people to be annoyed with me because I don't know the native language. By the way, you know what annoys me more than "Press two for Spanish"?????? "PRESS ONE FOR SPANISH"!!!!!! Yes, I have witnesses it.

on Nov. 26 2010 at 6:35 pm
jalsaied SILVER, Fort Irwin, California
6 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
- Abraham Lincoln

This issue is extremely controversial, but it is a matter of self reliance and analysis. Numerous other countries worldwide have troubled themselves to make signs in not only their home language, but also English. One may argue that English is universal in this day and age, but the countries like France who rarely display English, are indifferent to allowing people a way to understand their surroundings. English is extremely beneficial and sometimes a prerequisite, but it should not be forced onto our inhabitants.

BobbaJille said...
on Nov. 24 2010 at 1:55 pm
BobbaJille, Des Moines, Iowa
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When enteraining the public, it is best to have an elephant." - P.T. Barnum

I agree with this but also disagree. I believe there should be options for what language you speak, kids that are in the United States should know English because it helps in getting jobs and helps being able to communicate with others. I also agree with some of the points made in others posts where it is hard to learn a foreign language. In schools we are required to take a foreign language for at least two or three years. And I think that we shouldn’t have to because most people that takes foreign language classes forget what they learned if they don’t use it, but we still have to. Overall I think everyone should learn English who live in the country, at least kids, it is hard but you have to have English to succeed and move ahead in your job and in your life in America.

on Nov. 23 2010 at 11:55 pm
NataliaBoulevarde, N/a, California
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Your first breath is the idea of an unestablished sentence, your first smile is the affirmation of that sentence's future entirety, and your first step is the pen to paper in which it will take to carry on that sentence's closing." -myself

I do believe this is a great comment, your parents and yourself as well as any other bilingual person who is a citizen of this country has the same rights. Constitutionally speaking, " all men are created equal" was written towards rich, white men, and so it has to be taken into consideration whether you have a loose or strict interpretation of our rights. For some people, they have a much more loose interpretation than they possibly should, yet at the same time this is the United States, and the main, practical language of this country is English. Take this however you may, just putting it out there.

on Nov. 21 2010 at 2:02 pm
PenguinFeet GOLD, Bellevue, Washington
19 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Yeah, well, who but the mad would choose to keep on living? In the end, aren't we all just a little crazy?" - Dulcie, in Libba Bray's Going Bovine

Maybe you're the one who needs to learn a new language: Respect.

This is very offensive. My first language isn't English, and my parents don't speak English well either. Yet we have the same right as anyone to be here. This country is first and foremost about freedom. It's important to take into account the cultural diversity in our country. It's a good thing, and seeing it as an annoyance just seems bigoted and prejudiced.

America is a country of immigrants. "Our language" is not English. It's Spanish and Chinese and French and German and Japanese and every language in between. What you're basically saying is that Spanish and Chinese are not as valid as English.

"learn our language or go home"? America is our home.

give me your tired, your poor

your huddled masses yearning to breathe free