My Accent Doesn't Define Me | Teen Ink

My Accent Doesn't Define Me

By CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky
CarrieSElam PLATINUM, West Liberty, Kentucky

" When you Grow Up, Your Heart Dies."- Ally Sheedy ( The Breakfast Club, 1985)

“And in the end, we were all just humans.. drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.”

"Groovy Like a Drive In movie"

we live in a society that is plagued by social Stereotypes, everyday millions of people get discriminated because of The stereotype that goes with their Appearance, religion, race or in my case, accent.

During my short life I have noticed how Society views people with Southern accents. In the media, southern people are usually portrayed as either the “Dumb Hick” or the “Wild Hillbilly” Both stereotypes involve a southern person who lacks a basic education. While the “Wild Hillbilly” stereotype tends to be more extreme, both are inaccurate representations for the south as a whole.

When people hear my southern accent, I fear they see me the way society has portrayed me. I fear they automatically see me as an uneducated southern female. When in reality I am an educated young woman who plans on changing the world and doing amazing things with her life. I am proud of my accent, it is unique and beautiful. I am proud of where I live, I am proud of who I am.

I will not allow a stereotype to define me as a person, only my character can do that.