Fired Up | Teen Ink

Fired Up

July 7, 2015
By Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
182 articles 13 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are always feeling every emotion, but only a few are screaming."


It was the 4th of July. I was in Alabama to visit my grandmother and we were driving home when we saw these people setting off fireworks in the parking lot of an animal clinic. It’s like holding kids hostage while people are shooting at each other outside. It was just unbelievable because imagine how scared they would be. We allow ourselves to abuse animals for our own entertainment; hunting, circuses, kicking, hitting.

First of all lets cover hunting. People do it as an activity and I totally get that but lets face reality if you shot a human you would be arrested at the snap of a finger. When people shoot animals though it is ok? Should it be ok? I mean what is the difference? They are alive and somehow we abuse animals and laugh about it when we are not willing to abuse kids and laugh at it, at least not publicly, in front of millions of people. I am not saying abusing kids is not horrible it is completely awful. Actually abusing anyone, of any age, for that matter is awful.

That brings up another issue about abuse. Abuse of any kind is just awful and should never be done. Yes, we all make mistakes but that just crosses the line. People are starting to realize how bad abuse is especially toward women. What now needs to be accomplished is getting this message out there that abusing men is just as bad. I am a female and totally support  women’s rights. A study was done though these people hired actors to go in to a popular part of town. First this guy went and started hitting the girl (all an act). People jumped over fences to break them up. Then they went in to a different popular part of the city and the girl was hitting him. People just looked and some laughed a little. Should this be okay?

Now back to the issue of circuses. Many schools take their kids there on a field trips. I remember going and having a blast at 5 but now that I think about how they get those elephants to just walk around on a tiny little stage with a person jumping on their back? I’m guessing not with food. We lock these poor animals in small cages and then make them do tricks and if they don’t we beat them?

Even if people don’t agree with this look at previous wars. People could have put an end to some of them. But most of us are afraid. We are too scared about what might happen to us if we don’t go along. There are millions of people in this country. How many are followers? And how many are ready to lead. We all want to make a difference but are too scared to try. Do you think as many people would die and as many people and animals would get abused if we had more leaders and less followers? You don’t have to agree with me or like me but after you read this just think what the world could be like if we really cared.